Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF DC-Blocker / Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyr2

Hi,

I have a TV tuner which on one side is connected to the cable TV.
The TV tuner is just something I bought in the market, but I'm moreover interested in the circuit.

I would like to add a switch which allows to choose between the RF signal which comes from the cable provider and a normal antenna. The switch will change the signal path to the antenna if 5V 20mA is applied.

I have access to the GPIO lines of the usb stick (which output 3.3v or 0v), so I would like to be able to toggle that RF switch through software using those gpios

Now the question is how could I apply those 5V in a switchable way to the antenna output of the USB Stick without applying that voltage on the tuner chip directly? (I guess I need a dc blocker for that).

Can anyone guide me to some more information about that, what keywords I have to look for?
I would like to understand how that works.

ok I'm a little bit further with this, I need some kind of dc block capacitor eg. 3.3pF? can someone guide me to some equation how to calculate the right value?

A DC blocking capacitor doesn't need calculating - it just needs to block DC.

You simply need to consider the frequencies it's passing, and the impedance it's working at (usually 75 0r 50 ohms).

1000pF would be a pretty common choice, and would easily cover both UHF and VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back