Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reversed Phase and Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quote from the reference about a grounded reflector

"Rapid start
Newer rapid start ballast designs provide filament power windings within the ballast; these rapidly and continuously warm the filaments/cathodes using low-voltage AC. No inductive voltage spike is produced for starting, so the lamps must be mounted near a grounded (earthed) reflector to allow the glow discharge to propagate through the tube and initiate the arc discharge. In some lamps a "starting aid" strip of grounded metal is attached to the outside of the lamp glass."

Search the webpage using "find" in your browser for "flashing". There are three instances of the word "flashing".

This **broken link removed**) may also be useful.

Last edited:
It is happening here at my home also. i am living in bangalore, india. Here the wire man electrician are not knowledgeble. So they just connect two wire to the home connection of two wires. They never check for hot line and neutral line.

But it is working for all the devices except some electronics devices such as DC adapter. Now a days adapters are made without using Transformers. So when i connected to these adapter i am getting mild shocks, as per my understanding the hot line is directly coming through the earth connection of the adapter. Is this right?

Is there any solution for this. In my room where i am doing my electronics work, i interchanged my junction board to hot and neutral connection. Is it the right solution.
This way i can see the Spike buster box led showing correctly, where i still getting the small shock from those adapters.

Mani

Another ques - intention of this thread, My room's tube light keeps blinks continuously, even it is switched off. I can see this blink only in the dark(Night).

Thats correct I've experienced this once in a flat where I made Electrical Installation. The problem solve by just correcting the wiring.

@reloadron
Hi Ron,
Rply after Many days huh!
I'm not able to get the output for case no5( wherein L & N is reversed and open) and case no6 - ( wherein L & G Reversed) - thats an nearly impossible possibility.

Last edited:
@reloadron
Hi Ron,
Rply after Many days huh!
I'm not able to get the output for case no5( wherein L & N is reversed and open) and case no6 - ( wherein L & G Reversed) - thats an nearly impossible possibility.

OTAY, based on the little cartoon drawing I provided:

Under normal conditions:

DS1 is lit
DS2 is extinguished
DS3 is lit

IF Line and Neutral are reversed:

DS1 will be lit. Since DS1 is directly across L&N it matters not which is which. DS3 will be extinguished since Ground and Neutral should be tied at the main breaker panel or entry point. DS2 will be lit since it is in the neutral line which now is high.

If Line and Ground are reversed:

DS3 will be lit. Since DS3 is across L&G it matters not which is which. DS2 will be lit since neutral should tie to ground at entry pointDS1 should be extinguished. However, as you mention this scenario is about impossible.

Now that scenario is again based on the cartoon I provided. When I did that I did not use the picture you provided as to which lamp is which.

Ron

My bad, missed the "open". :(

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back