Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor rating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

haphazrd21

A project i am doing has quite a few resistors. Most are 1/4W unless otherwise specified. I understand the implications of going down a notch on power rating, but can I use a 1/2 watt instead one of the 1/4W's if that is what I have available? Or is that bad in case of a short somewhere and the resistor blows first? Thanks for any help

Thanks.....I figured that the design wouldn't rely on a resistor failing first in the circuit. Can never be too sure though! Thanks crust!

crust said:
Resistors should not be used as fuses.

In reality, fusible resistors are designed for just this use. This is a very common failure item in many newer TV's and computer monitors. Here is a spec sheet for the NTE fusibles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back