Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi there, I'm just teaching my self to repair 90's arcade style boards.
I have some resistor networks marked 9x-1-472 it's a Bournes resistor. I can't find them anywhere. I can find 9x-101-472LF.
I think the 9 is the leg pattern but I'm not sure what the rest of the code means or if it's the modern version? Can anyone help?
Thanks

For a modern equivalent search for "4.7k sil resistor" and find a 9 pin variety.

Which boards are you working on?

Mike.

9x is the pin count

1 is the number of separate pins to each resistor (pin 1 is common for the other terminal of all resistors)

472 is the value of each resistor, the numeric version of resistor colour code - 4 7 then 2 zeros, so 4700 ohms or 4K7

eg. an 8x-2-102 would be 8 pin, with two pins for each resistor, (no common pin) and 1K resistors.

This is the exact one you mention:
**broken link removed**

The data sheet (Musicmanager's link or here: https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/069c/0900766b8069ccfd.pdf ) gives the part number breakdown and the pinouts of the various styles.

Thanks very much!

I'd searched on the Rs site for it but nothing comes up on the search with the part number.
I've been spending all my time on learning soldering and track repairs so I think I could do with more time spent on understanding values and components now.

Thanks for the replies it's hugely helpful.
I restore old fruit machines to totally mint condition as a hobby but the tech is all pretty rare as it's all battery damaged, so I'm teaching myself to repair the Mpu's now. Ive a non electronics background so im learning about components from scratch.

I have a pinball machine (Monster Bash) that I also repaired due to battery damage. The nice thing is that everything was on a 0.1 inch pitch then so easy to unsolder.

This is what it looked like before removing any components.
Acid damage.jpg

This is after the removal of components and a first clean attempt.
After clean.jpg

I did eventually have to replace the asic socket as well. Interesting stuff.

Mike.

This is a cool forum! That is right up my street I'd love to move to a pinball machine one day. Did you get that fixed ok? Must have been satisfying!

I'm working on this... it's a ram/Cpu card my first ever repairs there were 98% successful. It booted a few times but was not quite right. I've checked the microprocessor and pal chips work in another card. I can't find any other broken tracks with my meter so I'm changing what components I can. I'll give it another metering for a week too. Learning a ton of new stuff doing it though!
20190220_071353.jpg

Looks like your damage wasn't as severe as mine but your damage was under the 84 pin PLCC socket (same as the asic on the right above). It all worked eventually - thought I'd get away without replacing the PLCC but had to anyway. Working on boards from that era is good fun, very satisfying and I'd go as far as saying relaxing. If you look at any modern board the skills required to replace anything on those is far way higher and sometimes impossible. Good luck, it's oh so rewarding when it eventually springs to life.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back