Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor man

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
Today while searching through google I came across this funny stuff.:D

Somehow I managed to make one looking like the first picture. My doubt is whether in the second picture, the body part uses resistor or a cap :)

How can I blink the LED's by adding just a single transistor, and where should I place it without affecting the appearance:eek:

Nice thing to try as a gift to somebody:p

Attachments

• resistor_man.jpg
    resistor_man.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 377
  • resman.jpg
    resman.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 335
Build the driver circuits into the base so they're hidden. Make the base thicker to fit the circuit, batteries and a switch.

I think the 2nd pic is all resistors, no caps. They might be wirewound resistors.

I don't know if you're trying to make the 1st pic or the 2nd. If you're doing the 1st, wire it up so one leg is the + and the other leg is the -. If you're doing the 2nd, have the man be one half of the circuit and the woman the other half. That will minimize any extra wires you need to run into the base. Then, make the resistors the right values so they act as the current limiting resistors for the LEDs. ;)

If you inverse parallel the LEDs you can flash them independently or alternately without extra wires.

Last edited:
I am so doing this myself :D

By the way, the components used for body parts in the second picture are definitely resistors; probably 3W resistors given their size.

I made my own version of the first picture, but I used a 555 circuit to make my resistor man's head blink at ~3Hz and made a couple of other slight modifications. My niece and nephew love it :D

I was also planning on giving it a staff with a christmas light on top of it, but found out that I couldn't solder the leads for the christmas light :( I don't know what they were made of but I tried tinning them and the solder just dropped right off.

I am thinking my piles of old circuit boards and a certain little girl I know may have to meet soon!
She would love the idea of making little people and animals out of old circuit board parts!

I was also planning on giving it a staff with a christmas light on top of it, but found out that I couldn't solder the leads for the christmas light :( I don't know what they were made of but I tried tinning them and the solder just dropped right off.
They're probably coated with something. Try sanding the leads and then see if the solder sticks. Or, tear apart a socket. ;) Or use an LED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back