Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How are you managing with the Covid-19 pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I got was a very small (10mm diameter) plaster. :rolleyes:

Mike.

I got a piece of cotton wool and surgical tape, it bled quite a bit this time. I also was quite achy about 20 hours later, but that might just have been working too hard?. A couple of paracetamol and I was fine after a couple of hours.

When I retired at my University, I didn’t expect to be thrown into a whirlwind of human loss and suffering, COVID19 is not done yet. Sadly if it roots itself we will have many more conversations about it. I don’t want it to be a reality, and my thoughts to all of you, I have followed all the Post’s. Glad to see you find humor hopefully to the other side looking for a better future that science might offer us all.

Got my first shot, going in for the second Friday, I hope to fair well and not have immune system reactions, in the past it has been the case, the first shot not to bad, My hope is the type of Vaccine mRNA will be kinder to my body offering much needed resistance. My wife has MS her immune system is destroyed by her infusions for the disease, so she did well with a weak immune system, actually much better than I thought.

One of my clients ended up with pneumonia, which my lungs can’t handle as I have a form of COPD, my inhaler might pull me through if such is the case and I can avoid antibiotics they tear me up. Moderna was what I chose, because of the pre-mix avoiding possible human error mixing before e.g. Pfizer injection, definitely avoiding J&J besides 50% efficacy vs near 100% is a no brainer to me, plus not to sure I trust J%J either, my own opinion, probably most of their findings are redacted, not really they are just not as forthcoming as I would want with info.

Anyway, hello again, just stepped in for a moment.

Good luck to all,

kv

When I retired at my University, I didn’t expect to be thrown into a whirlwind of human loss and suffering, COVID19 is not done yet. Sadly if it roots itself we will have many more conversations about it. I don’t want it to be a reality, and my thoughts to all of you, I have followed all the Post’s. Glad to see you find humor hopefully to the other side looking for a better future that science might offer us all.

Got my first shot, going in for the second Friday, I hope to fair well and not have immune system reactions, in the past it has been the case, the first shot not to bad, My hope is the type of Vaccine mRNA will be kinder to my body offering much needed resistance. My wife has MS her immune system is destroyed by her infusions for the disease, so she did well with a weak immune system, actually much better than I thought.

One of my clients ended up with pneumonia, which my lungs can’t handle as I have a form of COPD, my inhaler might pull me through if such is the case and I can avoid antibiotics they tear me up. Moderna was what I chose, because of the pre-mix avoiding possible human error mixing before e.g. Pfizer injection, definitely avoiding J&J besides 50% efficacy vs near 100% is a no brainer to me, plus not to sure I trust J%J either, my own opinion, probably most of their findings are redacted, not really they are just not as forthcoming as I would want with info.

Anyway, hello again, just stepped in for a moment.

Good luck to all,

kv
Great to hear from you kv, it's been a while!

I'm headed in for my second shot this afternoon. Only reaction I had to my first shot was a sore arm. My wife got her second shot on Monday and suffered from some severe dizziness and sore arm the next day. Thankfully there was nothing worse. I took tomorrow off work in case I get slammed with dizziness too - not something you want to hit you while working with machinery or driving. We also got Moderna, though we didn't get a choice - that's what was being offered at our local pharmacy.

Stay well, best of luck to you and your wife.

Best,
Matt

Glad to see you find humor hopefully to the other side looking for a better future that science might offer us all.
Here in Aus, it's not humour but complacency. Due to the fact we've been largely unaffected, people are reluctant to have the vaccine. In a recent survey 30% stated the were reluctant to get the vaccine. So, the great success of Australia could turn into it's downfall. Other countries that have had large death tolls have people queuing up to get it due to the real fear they themselves have witnessed. Personally, I think it will fade into insignificance just as the 1918 Spanish flu has - and that killed ~50 million.

Mike.

Here in Aus,
How is weather going in Aus? I planted some tomatoes in greenhouse but here in CZ we still have the "winter" (around 12Celsius day / 5C night) and they don't want to grow much. I guess you can grow whole year in Aus? Am i right?

Today high around 23C and low 13C, so yes, pretty much grow anything year round. Except, potatoes,, they need the soil temperature to drop low to seed (produce potatoes). I'd love to be able to get Jersey New Royals here. Actually, all the potatoes that grow here are pretty much tasteless.

Mike.
Edit, a little more info, seems some people don't like tomatoes so throw them (I call it composting) on the grass verge or other garden areas. They then turn into fruit bearing plants with no help from anyone. Almost like a weed, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Actually, all the potatoes that grow here are pretty much tasteless.

US: Speaking about tasteless vegetables. Carrots, in general are usually tasteless. There's a Spanish market nearby where the carrots are really yucky. When my father grew carrots, they had somewhat of a bitter taste. They were stubby because of the clay soil. "You", the vegetables, are what you eat.

I get migraines and the triggers are two fold:
1) How fast environmental variables change
1a) The absolute value of the magnitude of barometric pressure vs time (I have a value)
1b) how fast the temperature changes (15 degrees in 10 hours is too much)
2) Foods (probably additives)
#1: Neutrasweet and artificial sweetners - a small amount
#2: Vinegar: Vinegar and oil dressing - no; potatoe salad and cole slaw (maybe); Pickeled pigs feet: No
#3: Citric acid from a non-corn source: That was a tough one to figure out.
#4: Nitrates: dose dependent. One or two hot dogs is OK
#5: Dairy: particularly milk and ice cream. The product isn't totally avoided. Never liked milk since I was a baby.
#6: There is some ingredient in white bread that bothers me.

One oddity in this, is that I don't like milk and eggs, but they are a necessary ingredient. Egg Nog, I love.
I also have to limit chocolate.

The barometric pressure thing really messes everything up: blood pressure, breathing (Asthma), pulse oximitry, skin/hair oilyness

So, the environmental triggers and chocolate are acne vulgaris triggers. I have acne rosacia as well. It took a while to get this list together.
There might be a hereditary connection to skin diseases: e.g. seborehic dermatitis(dandruff), acne, psoriasis, ickthosis (fish skin)

I took tomorrow off work in case I get slammed with dizziness too - not something you want to hit you while working with machinery or driving.

Best,
Matt
Hey D8, yes been awhile. I have been working with a Security Company now, I will for a while longer till I’m 66 1/2, I like working from home no more wire to pull or people or project Management. Collecting my pension, still working 8 hr 5 day week but I plan to work a 4hr 5 day week, since I’m grandfathered in I can take Uni classes, which are Accredited.

Funny I only have 2 electives to get my Network Administration degree (which won’t benefit me since retirment), but switching majors to Anthropology (Specifically Genetic Anthropology) to do research, I’ll transfer some classes and move quickly to my degree, I already have research done earlier for the last 20 years off and on, to complete a Thesis and Book. Since completing my home remodel (I did myself), adding a den 14’ x 24’ it will enable me to move my Library to the research lab / man cave lol.

Staying busy during COVID or as always “Learn Grow and Adapt”

kv

I'm headed in for my second shot this afternoon.

Best,
Matt

Got my second shot this morning at 10am it’s 5pm so far so good, noticed a little energy loss, how are you doing today,

Hope you and your wife are doing well also.

Best,
kv

Got my second shot this morning at 10am it’s 5pm so far so good, noticed a little energy loss, how are you doing today,

Best,
kv
So, now that you got your second shot you feel safe enough to start hanging around ETO again?

So, now that you got your second shot you feel safe enough to start hanging around ETO again?

I actually do miss you guys here, I’ve been around just not posting. Reading posts mostly because I’m not doing a lot of electronic projects, just focusing on my degree. Now that is over, I wish I could be able to help out on the forum. In the past, I received a lot of help and thank goodness people have been kind enough to help me out.

Thank you for asking. Hope your are doing well. I think I’ll stop in once in awhile but not to be vocal, backing away from now on. :stop:

I learned my lesson.

kv

I’ve been around just not posting

Kind of like a member at AAC. Were you also in DC on 1/6/21? His whole internet presence has been removed, had many pictures of himself online that are now gone. Some tough guy he turns out to be.:)

1621700074186.jpeg

kv

The pandemic is behind me and for of people who've been fully vaccinated. I've been fully vaccinated for a while and Vegas bound soon.
No tasteless vegetables on my plate. :)

Best,
kv
Hi kv, glad to hear you seem to be doing well.

I woke up Friday morning with a pretty nasty headache which lasted for most of the day. I also had very low energy, which meant sitting all day, which meant sore joints. Makes me wonder how much of the aches were vaccine-related and how many were simply posture-related.

Anyway, I'm mostly recovered now (just a lingering, occasional headache). I'm headed to Colorado for my brother's wedding next month, so I'm glad to have this behind me. Travel will be much easier if I have had my shots.

Best,
Matt

I actually do miss you guys here, I’ve been around just not posting. Reading posts mostly because I’m not doing a lot of electronic projects, just focusing on my degree. Now that is over, I wish I could be able to help out on the forum. In the past, I received a lot of help and thank goodness people have been kind enough to help me out.

Thank you for asking. Hope your are doing well. I think I’ll stop in once in awhile but not to be vocal, backing away from now on. :stop:

I learned my lesson.

kv
I also have been around but posting less than I used to. I recently got a new job and it is taking a lot of my time and attention. I also have a 4-year-old son at home, so the time I do have goes straight to caring for and entertaining him. I will still clean up the occasional spam and answer the occasional message here, but I'm not often creating posts anymore. I am definitely still working on electronic projects though - Just this afternoon I finished up a rebuild of a 20A Variac box. I bought the original off ebay for $50 (the guy was actually local, so I was able to pick it up in person and save on the shipping). I then spent an obnoxiously long time making new parts, buying bits and pieces, rewiring, painting, and reassembling it. (Edit: I just looked it up, I bought the original box on January 28th).

144936164_5230990633579459_4031581169890143891_n.jpg
168879374_5535414749803711_5055691172062837468_n.jpg
190705591_5778301755515008_6085346384557415243_n.jpg

I am also still working on my vacuum tube Tesla coil, namely the staccato circuit. I will probably try to get back to this next.

139412664_5158499454161911_1096694235799375554_n.jpg
134059288_5090289094316281_4528074710406943786_n.jpg

I've got various other projects in the works as well, but they are mostly all on the back burner. I guess the answer to the overall question of "How are you managing with the COVID-19 pandemic?" for me would simply be "Building." It's what I enjoy. I rebuilt my back porch at the start of the pandemic, and things have drifted back to electronics since.

Best,
Matt

I've got various other projects in the works as well, but they are mostly all on the back burner. I guess the answer to the overall question of "How are you managing with the COVID-19 pandemic?" for me would simply be "Building." It's what I enjoy. I rebuilt my back porch at the start of the pandemic, and things have drifted back to electronics since.

Best,
Matt

Some COVID 19 projects
This is the second of 2 Guitars I’ve rebuilt, first one was an electric the other acoustic. This one is a keeper, 61 year old Guitar, paid $170 on ebay, the other one was a dumpster dive, I was leaving a MotorCycle Repair Shop and seen a girl, probably from the University leave it. I made $70 on that one and just spent $16 on a bone bridge, hand shaved to spec. Sold it to Guitar Center.

The other pic was a Garage, it’s now my new (Man Cave) music room / lab / library / den. I’ll move my role top out with the library. Add some sinks to bottle wash, it will also serve as my manufacturing site for now, ship and receive. The space is 14 x 24 Modest but has potential.

kv

Attachments

• 84ADFAE2-C6BE-4F66-B71E-14F21D085F38.jpeg
    84ADFAE2-C6BE-4F66-B71E-14F21D085F38.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 237
  • 5642D180-3C8C-41CE-AA14-5E057B59C1F0.jpeg
    5642D180-3C8C-41CE-AA14-5E057B59C1F0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
  • F6F79253-BBF9-4193-974F-5301D9107401.jpeg
    F6F79253-BBF9-4193-974F-5301D9107401.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 230
  • A9438297-9FAB-4030-BDAC-422D7394DE62.jpeg