Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor and their wattage help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazi

Hi,

I bought this ready made led circuit for some aquarium lighting **broken link removed** (the circuit is labeled)
- I want to use it with a 12v power supply so using 30 Ω resistors.
- A total of 120 leds can be mounted on the circuit, I want to use white leds so looking at the following figures
supply voltage: 12v
diode fwd voltage: 3.3v
forward current: 20 mA

I need to know if my choice of 30Ω resistors is correct also what wattage of resistors would be fine for this application? I have a few 1 watt 30 Ω resistors will they work ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.

That is a very bad circuit board. It has 3 lots of 40 LEDs, The LEDs are in parallel and share a resistor. However, 40*20mA = 800mA so R = (12-3.3)/0.8 = 11 ohms. Wattage = VI = 8.7*.8 = 7 Watts.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back