Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncag

I am having a problem trying to find a replacement for this transformer. It is for a rework station. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
By the look of it it's a custom transformer, you would need to have one wound for you.

The alternatives would be to replace it with two or three transformers of the correct voltages, or redesign the entire thing to use standard transformers.

Another option is to pick up a toroidal that is close and add your own winding's, relatively easier than an EI type.
Done this several times in the past.
What is the present problem?
Max.

The problem I see is that there are no current ratings for each winding.

So you will likely play it safe and use a larger transformer

How do you know it is bad?

I was using it just the other day and had the hot air on and all of a sudden it started smoking and lost power. I opened it up and the top winding was burnt.

Correct they are sending a new unit and are not requesting to return this one so I thought I could fix this one for someone else.

Find out what the top winding leads to. It could be that something else shorted out, and that shorted the secondary winding, causing it to burn out. A new transformer may do the same thing unless you check all the secondary devices. If the burnt winding is the primary (110V Red-Red), then more likely the transformer is at fault.

I was able to look at the windings today . The top winding has the three voltages, the bottom winding is the 110 primary winding .

It is possible that all 3 voltages come from the same secondary winding, though this is not common. Check the resistance between the different pairs of windings. If they conduct to each other, then any of the 3 secondary could have shorted the winding out, meaning you have to test all 3 secondary circuits for component failure.
If the windings are all insulated from each other, then there may be windings wound one on top of the other, making it harder to determine which winding was actually burning up.
Regardless, since it was a secondary winding that burned up, you must check the circuits that are using those voltages for failed components. If you can't find anything, you can test each circuit with a similar voltage and a fuse (like 1A or 2A) in series. If the fuse blows with no load on, then that circuit is likely faulty. Based on the size of the transformer, I doubt it supplies more than an amp or two (maybe 3A) for each secondary.
If you use a 1A fuse and it does not blow, check the secondary (regulated) voltages. Putting a load on may then show which circuit is faulty..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back