Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement for BAT82 diode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rngd

Hi guys,

I was wondering, with so many of you here experienced in electronic projects, if anyone knows of a suitable replacement for a BAT82 schottky diode? I am supposed to use that diode but I cannot find it in any of the shops.

I figure I would ask here first in case any of you are familiar with it. If not then I will have to match the specs with other similar diodes myself.

The datasheet,
https://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/philips/BAT81_82_83_2.pdf

I am using it in a lead acid charger circuit. Thanks.

rngd said:
Hi guys,

I was wondering, with so many of you here experienced in electronic projects, if anyone knows of a suitable replacement for a BAT82 schottky diode? I am supposed to use that diode but I cannot find it in any of the shops.

I figure I would ask here first in case any of you are familiar with it. If not then I will have to match the specs with other similar diodes myself.

The datasheet,
https://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/philips/BAT81_82_83_2.pdf

I am using it in a lead acid charger circuit. Thanks.

You can confidently use 1N5817,18,19 . data sheet at

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/1N5817-D.PDF

Roff said:
I don't know how you can be confident without knowing the application. Your suggested replacement has about 10,000 times the leakage current and as much as 100 times the capacitance of the BAT81 series.
I think rngd needs to tell us how the part is used.

Yes. I should have suggested a better device- but the O P has indicated its use--
"I am using it in a lead acid charger circuit."

Thanks for the suggestion that helps me to be more critical in future.

mvs sarma said:
Yes. I should have suggested a better device- but the O P has indicated its use--
"I am using it in a lead acid charger circuit."

Thanks for the suggestion that helps me to be more critical in future.
A thousand pardons. I totally missed the application information.:( I guess I really am getting old. :eek:
In fact, the BAT81 series would be unuseable unless the usage is in a trickle charger for a small lead-acid battery.

Roff said:
A thousand pardons. I totally missed the application information.:( I guess I really am getting old. :eek:
In fact, the BAT81 series would be unuseable unless the usage is in a trickle charger for a small lead-acid battery.

Please -- you are perfectly correct NOT about what you felt in this post- and i could have chosen a better device irrespective of the actual use. when suggesting an equivalent, i should be careful. this is because, the O P may generalise this advise and try applying tomorrow at some RF application for band switching. you are correct and need not be apologetic. in fact I should feel for it. All the best of 2008 Please.

Last edited:
Quite right, he said it's for a lead acid charger but he didn't say what type, if it's a switch mode power supply the diode you suggested probably won't work.

Glad you guys cleared your misunderstanding. The charger is a trickle charger charged by a solar panel. So the 1N5819 diode can be used, right ? The circuit is attached below just in case. It is designed by someone named Oscar.

ps. I have a quick newbie question, what is the difference between the two MOSFET symbols in the second attachment ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• chargercircuit.JPG
    chargercircuit.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 361
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 206
rngd said:
Glad you guys cleared your misunderstanding. The charger is a trickle charger charged by a solar panel. So the 1N5819 diode can be used, right ? The circuit is attached below just in case. It is designed by someone named Oscar.

ps. I have a quick newbie question, what is the difference between the two MOSFET symbols in the second attachment ?

Thanks !

The two BAT diodes are just to clamp the input to the op amp to about +/-0.4V.

The two MOSFETs are the same type, ref drawing, just drawn that way for convenience..
The 'arrows' direction on the FET's indicate a different type.

Last edited:
I would also connect one of the inputs of the unused comparator to +15V and the other to 0V.

There is an object lesson here. The lesson is, most noobs post too little info, rather than too much. If you had posted the schematic in the first place, we would have told you to use 1N4148's. The 1N5917 is one of the poorer choices for this application, although it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back