Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing Automotive Check Control Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronsCars

Hi guys, I’m working on repairing some electrical issues on my old car.
The gauges are a bit wonky, some don’t work and on the special occasion that they do they bounce up and down.

I am currently going through the wiring of the car, but one issue I (may) have found is the check control box which controls the gauges.

I took it apart last night, the circuit board looks fine, no broken lines or melted solder joints. But I did find this green diode(maybe?) that looked like it had gotten hot.

What is this green thing and is it something replaceable? It has 5%T7 written on it.

I am not an electronics wizard, but these little projects with my car are what I’m learning on.
A new check control module is $350, and before I drop that kind of cash I would like to prove that I need it!

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Attachments

• F1E21DA5-862F-461F-AF19-DA4227BEA5E2.jpeg
    F1E21DA5-862F-461F-AF19-DA4227BEA5E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 254
What is this green thing and is it something replaceable?
Looks like a wirewound resistor, they do tend to get quite warm in normal use, hence the darkening of the circuit board due to heat.

It has 5%T7 written on it.
Not very helpful, there is probably some more information on the underside of the resistor, next to the circuit board.

JimB

Okay I shined a bright light on it and under it I could see 68 ohms inscribed on it
Tested it with a meter, and it’s got 68ohms
So I think you’re right, it’s just gotten hot.
I cleaned all the contacts for the plugs and placed it back on the car. Will test soon after I get the fuse box and wiring figured out

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back