Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing varnish/moisture proofing from pcb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick m

Hi just wondered if anyone had a good idea as i want to reove a component and identify it but its covered in orange varnish.

I can't be of direct help, but not knowing that the coating is called "conformal coating" might make it tough to search.

Here is a good starting point: https://www.empf.org/empfasis/oct03/3403rcc.htm

Then I would look at the references within the article.

They are pretty annoying to remove. I would try some sort of paint stripper or a hot knife and mechanical means.

If the "varnish" is an acrylic, lacquer thinner will remove it. If it is varnish or polyurethane, it is much harder to remove. Try lacquer thinner. If that doesn't work you may need a harsher chemical like Marine or Aircraft paint remover, which contain methylene chloride (aka dichloromethane). NB: Lacquer thinner will harm styrene-like plastics, methylene chloride will harm a larger range of plastics. So, be careful, if you have connectors or devices with optical windows that might be harmed. Epoxy, like is used for IC chips, is relatively unaffected by both solvents mentioned.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back