Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote Proximity Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindctrl

Hi all,

I have an '03 Yamaha R6 that I've done just about every mod (superficial and engine) under the sun to. I'm starting to get a little bored with my bike and I wanna do something different to set it apart from the rest.

I've seen guys who have put remote starts on their bikes. It seems pretty cool, but I want to take it a step further. I invite everybody to read through this and if you have any ideas or suggestions at all, please comment! I'd really love to get everybodies opinion on this.

What I want: A system that interconnects into my bike's electrical system(much like remote start). It should function well as a remote start. NOTE!!! I will NOT create such a beast unless it has a neutral position safety switch. Therefore, if the bike is not in neutral, it simply refuses to turn on. Simple as that. I am not gonna be responsible for my bike flying into a crowd of people simply because I was too stupid or forgetful to set it in neutral when I killed it.

The other half is where it becomes complicated. What I wanna do is set up a "proximity keyless system." Much like the new Mercedes, Mazdas, and Ferraris, the requirement for the bike to start is for myself to be present near the bike with a small transmitter attached to my body somewhere (Maybe hooked on my belt in an old pager housing...). After I come within 10 feet of my bike or so, the electrical system automatically turns on (headlights, dash lights, etc) and I can either press a button on my transmitter (hence remote start) or I can push the start button on my bike. I really have no idea how to go about this.

How should I go about creating a proximity system like this? I'm sure you're all aware of systems already in place for building security, like HID magcards, micro transmitters, and more. If you do some research about the new Mazda Miatas, you'll find they have the same system optional from the factory. I believe this is known as "Smart Key" Wikipedia has an article on it for more reference!

I'd love to hear all your thoughts, advice, and criticisms on this.

Hmm , minature transmitter in the helmet or pager case seems feasible, some rather neat 2 pin modules are about.. these should be small enough.
Coded activation via a cell-phone is another approach, usefull if someone has swiped your keyless starter.

"Every mod under the sun"... lol , I doubt that

You're right, I don't have every mod under the sun. Just a lot :)

Transmitter in the Helmet.... that's a brilliant idea, I never even thought about that! Do you know of any "2 pin modules" you can reference for me? Again, I haven't ever done anything in the whole RFID/keyless field, besides doing remote start installs for people.

everything under the Sun!

You have one of these? Made if for my buddy Hans. It is just to hide the tag when they do shows :) It was for show and wow, nothing more, he promised.

**broken link removed**

What do you all think about an active RFID tag? Could that give me a range of about 15 feet, conservatively?

I heard they do not go far, so maybe less. I wanted to use one once and the range was very short. See if 222.dyna-sys.com has specs online. They sell them.

Thanks for the site, I'm browsing it right now. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't look into something a little more long distance, i.e. some form of encoded narrowband transmission. I'd like to implement this as cheaply as possible (i.e. less than $150 USD). So, if you have any ideas other then RFID, throw em out there.

Really, all I need to do is close a circuit when the base station detects the transmitter is near, and open it back again when the remote is not present. Seems pretty straightforward, and yet theres a surprising lack of information regarding the subject.... haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back