Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adult Walker proximity sensor

JC777

Hello to the good folks of this forum. This is my first post. I am the primary care giver for my 89 year old Mother. She is constantly walking away from her walker and doesn't remember where it is, This is very dangerous. I have very little understand of electronics and could use your help.

I would like to build, or preferably, have one of you build, (for profit) a proximity sensor where a receiver that would trigger a audible alarm when she is more that 6' away (preferably this could be adjustable). The receiver/alarm would be mounted to the walker. The sensor would be in her pocket. If possible, the receiver should operate on one or two 18650 cells.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

JC777

Basis could be radar sensor, which can measure distance you are
targeting :

Of course code has to accommodate when not appropriate to alarm, and
you would need to distinguish is it grandma or a stranger in vicinity. I would
assume you would also want to know if she has fallen, code + accelerometer
could accomplish that.

Because this is life support designer would want immunity from lawsuit, eg.
aggressive insurance company, so need to work under corporate umbrella......are
there federal standards that have to be incorporated.....

Regards, Dana.

Basis could be radar sensor, which can measure distance you are
targeting :

Of course code has to accommodate when not appropriate to alarm, and
you would need to distinguish is it grandma or a stranger in vicinity. I would
assume you would also want to know if she has fallen, code + accelerometer
could accomplish that.

Because this is life support designer would want immunity from lawsuit, eg.
aggressive insurance company, so need to work under corporate umbrella......are
there federal standards that have to be incorporated.....

Regards, Dana.
Thank you Dana for your input.
Rob

I reached out to the UK seller to see if they would ship to the US.
There's probably a US source for it, or for something similar. Search ebay listings.

Now, what's the greater risk: Grandma falling because she "forgets" to use the walker, or, a fire related to a DIY 18650 Lithium battery charger or uncontrolled discharge related to a short caused by faulty wiring or wear/abrasion of wiring?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back