Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why no remote sense details in PSUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Attachments

• 2 Buks _LoSideSense_Remote Sense.asc
    33.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Remote sense and pllel SMPS.jpg
    Remote sense and pllel SMPS.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 147
The remote sense lines are connected directly to the power supply output terminals at the remote load, which is a very low impedance point, so I don't see how any remote sense current (which is likely very low) that can interfere with any "load share resistors", whatever those are.
You do not want to add any external resistor in the sense lines, as you appear to show.

You do not want to add any external resistor in the sense lines, as you appear to show
Yes, my apologies, i should have explained that this needs the resistance in the sense line, to do load sharing....it is this resistor's action, that is "messed up", by internal resistors relating to the "remote sense" function.

i should have explained that this needs the resistance in the sense line, to do load sharing....it is this resistor's action, that is "messed up", by internal resistors relating to the "remote sense" function.
Well, you are trying to do something with the sense lines they are not designed to do, so can't help you there.
Have you tried measuring the resistance of the sense lines?

Thanks, AYK, using sense lines for Load sharing is a normal procedure, as on page 1 of the UCC29002 datasheet

...Have you tried measuring the resistance of the sense lines?
Thanks, i see your point, i could measure from S+ to V+ and from V- to S-......that will tell me those two resistors...but there may be more inside....i cant see why they dont just provide the schem of the remote_sense_related circuitry.

Last edited:
using sense lines for Load sharing is a normal procedure, as on page 1 of the UCC29002 datasheet
Okay, I wasn't familiar with that technique.
.i cant see why they dont just provide the schem of the remote_sense_related circuitry.
Likely because the power supply manufacturer wasn't aware of that load sharing technique, and for normal remote sensing, the impedance of the remote sense lines is not of importance.

If you want a more accurate impedance measurement of the sense line, you could connect it through an ammeter and measure the current into the sense terminals at some nominal voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back