• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay issue - Driving signal input with 5V+ digital wire

Thread starter #1
I bought this relay from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW15D1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im trying to drive it with Adafruits lase breakbeam sensors:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2167

Which shows a 5V+ for the signal wire

I hook it up to the relay with the jumper on HI, and the light turns on but relay doesn't click. I turn the jumper to low and it clicks, but dosen't turn off when beam is broken. I measure the voltage on the signal wire and it measures 5V+ unbroken, and I get open circuit small mA reading.

I have a 10K ohm resistor between power and signal as specified by the datasheet for the sensors.

The relay works with a ground as a signal on jumper low setting, but I feel like its not reading the drop in voltage when jumper is on high setting.

The relay is wired to 24V and the sensors are regulated with a 5V ps. Can someone help?

Ultimately I need to use the relay to drive a ground as a input signal to a controller that only reads a ground. I want to use the relay to read the positive digital signal, and output a ground to the controller.

sagor1

It means the relay in your link is designed for a +12V input to trigger (or at least to power the +12V relay itself), according to the text....
They do make +5V trigger relays, but that is not one of them.

unclejed613

Most Helpful Member
the sensors do not provide enough current to drive the relay. you need to use a transistor to drive the relay coil. you need the relay power to be 12vV dc, and the relay coil acts as the collector (for a bipolar transistor) or drain (for a MOSFET) load. the sensor would be connected to the base or gate of the driver transistor. an example of a relay driver transistor is this:
relay-driver.png
the control signal can be a 5V logic level, or the output of the sensor.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles