Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Equivalent Triac Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

piyush_pv

Hello All

Can some one please suggest me a Relay Equivalent Triac Circuit.

I try to give 2V DC on GATE from other power supply. of TRIAC as I want it always to be on.

So when ever it come to zero crossing label volt on gate will on the TRIAC but it did not work.

Any suggestion what's wrong ?

I am using BTA16-600 Triac

Hello,

What exactly are you driving the gate with? You say 2v, but does that come from a large power supply?
You really drive the gate with a current, which means a voltage supply with a resistor in series. If you apply 2v from a large power supply with no resistor you could blow the triac gate out. Dont know if this is what happened, but it could.

Hi MrAl

Thanks for your reply.

I am not using resistance to limit current.

I am using 200MA transformer and then Power regulator IC and try giving 2v to 8V on GATE Directly.

While connected to gate I also test the voltage where voltage did not drop.

Means Triac is geting enough required current.

Load is also connected to triac as datasheet say minimum some load is required so I conenct 15W Light.

What other possible to check ?

Why don't you use a mosfet instead of triac?

Triac will keep the 'connection' if there will be a current flow from anode to katode even if you take out voltage from the base so it does not behave exactly like relay.
But for example mosfet will kill the connection if there will be not enough voltage on the gate - same behavior as relay.

You can also use transoptor if you want galvanic isolation from the power circuit.

Hi Kaminari

Thanks for suggestion

Mosfet Poser decapitation is very high that's why I prefer to use TRIAC cause it will be connected to power 24 /7.

Triac could be off 1/50 sec on zero crossing so it can totally behave like relay and It can also be used with MCU to control fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back