Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Record Player Turntable Motor not self starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike47

Hi
I have a Sony DJ9000 Record Player and the problem is that the Turntable ( Platter) will not self start, I have to give it a nudge then it will turn ok.
Anyone any idea as what the problem could be, have checked the motor winding's and they all show the same reading's, have re-oiled the bearing, it just seems that it just needs that initial power surge to start it turning, will attach the Service Manual/ schematic and some pics of the underneath of the Turntable .

Cheers

Spike

Attachments

• psdj9000__stereo_turntable from google.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG-1003.JPG
    IMG-1003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG-0995.JPG
    IMG-0995.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG-0999.JPG
    IMG-0999.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG-0998.JPG
    IMG-0998.JPG
    940.1 KB · Views: 205
The one I've looked at with similar problem had a brass bushing for the platter (belt drive) and the "permenantly oiled" bushing that was made from powdered brass had dried up. Oiling doesn't help. You need to dissolve the old oil and start over.

The one I've looked at with similar problem had a brass bushing for the platter (belt drive) and the "permenantly oiled" bushing that was made from powdered brass had dried up. Oiling doesn't help. You need to dissolve the old oil and start over.
Hi
Thanks for your reply, will check that out, but the shaft is very free, looks a phosphor bronze bush, it runs in a oil bath ! .

cheers
Spike

That turntable is only a few years (2 to 4 years) old correct? I thought a turntable would be "vintage" as in 30 to 50 years old. Then likely a capacitor or connector instead of a mechanical issue.

Not vintage with a circuit board with SMT ICs on it ;)

Well, not my version of vintage at least!

Not vintage with a circuit board with SMT ICs on it ;)

Well, not my version of vintage at least!

yeah, not mine either. My first post was from my phone (I don't bother trying to look at images from my phone). My second look, I noticed patent numbers in the 9800000 range which are quite recent. Surprising anyone is still patenting phonograph circuits. Bell and Edison would be so proud of the staying power of their inventions - and, probably, concerned for our lack of progress.

taking a closer look at the second picture, i notice the potentiometer is turned full counterclockwise. it's not likely it came that way from the factory... if a factory adjustment is maxed out or bottomed out, something's out of tolerance, or somebody has been inside the turntable before the OP....

or somebody has been inside the turntable before the OP....

I like this thread. It is like watching CSI ETO. OP's relatives already considered "persons of interest" but OP is required not to leave the thread for the moment and report to moderators every 4 posts.

I like this thread. It is like watching CSI ETO. OP's relatives already considered "persons of interest" but OP is required not to leave the thread for the moment and report to moderators every 4 posts.

oh, I've seen a lot of OPs lately that should get that directive. Especially the ones asking some weird question and asking if website X (link attached) is a good source of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back