Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Really cheap Press-n-Peel option !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike

I was just googlin' for tips on fabricating my own PCB's and came across this page:

**broken link removed**

This guy uses magazine pages as an alternative to that Press n Peel stuff. I suspect you have to use the really glossy shiny magazine covers. Any who I just thought you guys would like to know...

Has any one tried this ??

PC boards

Thanks, pike. There are some good tips there on making PC boards. That kind of information takes a long time to collect through trial & error :) .

Here's an alternative suggestion for making a low cost laminator. Use a modified fuser/finisher unit out of any laser printer, surplus units are available cheaply through ebay. I recently purchashed a KX-PFS2 (fuser unit for a Panasonic KX-P4410 laser printer, widely available as surplus) from IMPRO (through ebay) for $6 + S&H.

A fuser/finisher unit like this needs a few modifications for use as a PC board laminator. A small AC motor & gear can be added to turn the rollers slowly. One of the rollers is usually spring-loaded, so depth can be adjusted by adding on a small setscrew at each end. A long halogen lamp inside a hollow roller provides the uniform heat source. Note that fuser/finishers are only intended for intermittent use! I haven't finished making the mods on mine yet, but it should provide more consistent results than the "hot iron" method for toner fusing.

!!disclaimer/warning!! - try this suggestion at your own risk! Like many suggested projects in these forums, it involves dangerously high voltages (and temperatures). Take appropriate safety precautions. Most finishers are well protected as stand-alone units, keep their safety features (like protective hoods) intact.

Hello,
I've just joined this forum, so that's why the late reply. Anyway, I haven't ever used the magazine covers, just the article pages --that might be and interesting experiment though... I look for a semi-gloss page with a light color background (on both sides --this helps when trying to align the papers for a 2 sided board). Having a little color seems to release better than just a white page. Magazines with a lot of recycled pulp don't seem to work as well as the higher quality ones. I generally use junk mail, but have had good results with TIME, National Geographic, and the like.
8)
-Dal

pike said:
I was just googlin' for tips on fabricating my own PCB's and came across this page:

**broken link removed**

This guy uses magazine pages as an alternative to that Press n Peel stuff. I suspect you have to use the really glossy shiny magazine covers. Any who I just thought you guys would like to know...

Has any one tried this ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back