Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading from a USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limlik

I started wandering about my usb ports for use with robotics. My question is, does anybody know how to read what is being sent to the usb ports? For example if I had a button connected to the positive and the input how could I go about getting a C++ program to register that it got a 1 or a 0?

It's a type of high speed serial port, you need an USB slave device like the FT245R (USB to Parallel) IC to talk to it. You cannot connect buttons directly to the data lines.

Didn't exactly mean directly but that was a rough idea of what I wanted. Was going to use some Basic stamp 2's to do some stuff with it. But I guess those wouldn't work without the FT245R chips or am I wrong?

Last edited:
So I guess just have the Basic Stamp output the data it receives and just have the c++ (Might just use visual basic at first) interpret the data.

I agree, but if you know the nature of the data you send to a VB program you do not have to interpret it in the Stamp, let the VB take care of that end and just send raw data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back