Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading Data sheets BMP280

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally i found the discussion , informative and entertaining , as did 678 viewers perhaps. MM had used the device so had first hand experience , Camerart , is venturing into unknown territory i believe, I will hopefully be getting stuck into the BME / P 280 and from various discussions on other forums it seems there are lots of traps for young players .
This thread has gone tits up.
Don't think so ...

No, I don't think it's gone what you said either !

Having read the document Tony Stewart posted above, Jon is quite right and I stand corrected; there are indeed pull up resistors, albeit tiny and hidden on the BMP 280 module board I've used - they might be 10k;

camerart .. .. I would commend the same document to you as it seems to clearly explain all the settings etc and also highlights the difficulties I had with explanation. The code differences would be a challenge to me .. .. .. . but I think the document will help you a great deal.

MM

That's the point of it :D

The main point is, a PIC is a processor, and an Arduino is a complete development board/system - there are plenty of PIC development boards are there, and the Arduino 'usually' uses an AVR processor. However, you can even get Arduino compatible boards with PIC processors on, that can be programmed from the Arduino IDE.

An interesting fact is that the Arduino was originally intended to have a PIC processor, but when MicroChip were approached they weren't interested in providing a compiler, Atmel were, so the AVR was chosen instead - the rest is history.

Both are simply tools for doing the same job, little to choose between them - the main advantage of the Arduino is the amazingly vast selection of examples and libraries out there, which are fairly easy to port to the PIC anyway.
Hi N,
Yes, much easier than the way I do things! I suppose you have heard the saying 'I wouldn't start from here' (I'll explan if you haven't heard of it), but there we are.
C

Hi MM re your impressive 'LED clock' did the Arduino / BMP280 use SPI 3 or 4 wire . please. ( maybe I2c ).
Hi C I did venture into Arduino world. but wasn't for me, as i was grappling ( still am ) with PICs and MPLABX and C I as a result now I fabricate various flavours (44 pin TQFP ) onto BOBs.. then drop them on to a breadboard to see if my ideas work . Having 37ish IO and PPS (pheripheral pin select) make this arrangement very flexible .
View attachment 133932

Nearly right JimB ,my runner bean trench..
Hi G,
And I thought it was for frog olympics :)

I have a little Arduino computer, and a QCX radio kit build.

The project I'm working on uses an 18F4620 and an 18LF4431 PIC. and as you can see also still grappling.
C.

Lest we forget.... The OP ISN'T using arduino.... He is using a PIC AND!!!! using basic not C or piggin C++

camerart .... This thread has gone tits up... Can we start again please.... The BMP280...

Has anyone answered your question?
Hi I,
Anyway!
I use a radio link terminal and a digital analyser, so I get results on the computer screen, and carefully went through eveything, and noticed that in my BMP280 initialisation, I start with a RESET, and next to it is a forgotten comment, 'Is this necessary' I tried removing it, and it fixed the problem.
Happy Arduinoing:)
Thanks, C.

Frogs ... now cows.. Has ETO merged with the 'Country File' site ?
(Country File is a BBC program, amied at 'townies' )

BME280 module has arrived , will be trying SPI , first ... not confident ..
PS Some past 'Lord' of Petworth House.(West Sussex) built a tunnel under his massive lawn so he didn't have to watch the cows come home from the feilds to be milked.

PS Some past 'Lord' of Petworth House.(West Sussex) built a tunnel under his massive lawn so he didn't have to watch the cows come home from the feilds to be milked.

Oh, you'd have to use SPI for them, the udder one wouldn't work - 4 teats you see !

MM

BME280 module has arrived , will be trying SPI , first ... not confident ..
The Duke Of Devonshire demolished an entire village (and built a new one) so he wouldn't have to see it from Chatsworth House :D

The village is called Edensor, and there's only one house left of the original village. The reason for the single house (cottage) is because an old guy lived in it, he'd been born in the cottage, and was expected to die soon - so the Duke agreed to leave it until he died - but the Duke died first, so the cottage got left (it's the one used in the very old Andrex advert :D )

Hi C , do you know your temperature, humidity and pressure yet. I 'm exploring the SPI i/f seems BME/P, 3 wire is different (seems to be in and out on same wire ) so 4 wire > dsPIC SPI, I'm doing a data annalist with an el-cheapo 8 chan thing, at moment so I can prove I am sending hex addresses... I'm converting the farmerkeith's c++ code. (Getting more like Country file all the time , have you seen the cows yet ? )

Last edited:
Hi C , do you know your temperature, humidity and pressure yet. I 'm exploring the SPI i/f seems BME/P, 3 wire is different (seems to be in and out on same wire ) so 4 wire > dsPIC SPI, I'm doing a data annalist with an el-cheapo 8 chan thing, at moment so I can prove I am sending hex addresses... I'm converting the farmerkeith's c++ code. (Getting more like Country file all the time , have you seen the cows yet ? )
Hi G,
No moos about the cows.

I use 4x wire for SPI, and have used this for years sucessfully.

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back