Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re-chargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I use a portable Digital Radio which uses 3 AA size Alkaline batteries.
Is it possible to use NiMH re-chargeable batteries in place of Alkaline batteries.
Why I am asking this - I have heard that re-chargeables can damage circuits due to their higher capacity Ah.
Thanks

You cannot damage a circuit with a higher capacity. It will only make it work longer which in my world is not equivalent to damaging a circuit.

The problem would be that Alkaline batteries are 1.5V while NiMH are 1.2V. However I think that the very low internal resistance of the NiMH batteries would compensate for the lower voltages.

It will not damage your electronic device :)

The problem would be that Alkaline batteries are 1.5V while NiMH are 1.2V.
No.
Alkaline cells are 1.5V only when they are brand new and unused. Their voltage quickly drops to 1.2V each as they are used.

A Ni-MH cell is 1.25V over most of a charge.

Their Ah capacity is nearly the same.

Attachments

• AAA cells comparison.PNG
    AAA cells comparison.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hi

I use a portable Digital Radio which uses 3 AA size Alkaline batteries.
Is it possible to use NiMH re-chargeable batteries in place of Alkaline batteries.
Why I am asking this - I have heard that re-chargeables can damage circuits due to their higher capacity Ah.
Thanks
NICD and NIMH actually have a lower cell voltage than alkaline so there is absolutely no possibility of damaging the equipment using them.

NiMH AA/AAA cells are drop in replacements for alkaline batteries in the vast majority of consumer electronics. It is extremely unlikely (I almost say impossible) that they will damage anything. Please join those of us who use them and jump on the rechargeable band wagon!!!

I use Ni-MH cells for almost everything portable. I buy Energizer cells and they don't sell Ni-Cads anymore.
The new Ni-MH cells are pre-charged and each charge has a very long shelf life.
Alkaline cells are good for projects that don't mind the voltage dropping and dropping and dropping and dropping and dropping and dropping and .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back