Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RCA Outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollinstonedj

I have a Peavy mixer with enough inputs but only 2 outputs. Does someone have an idea on i could add additional outputs without signal loss ?

Nigel Goodwin said:
gifford said:
good question. One I would like to know the answer to also...

Also see my previous reply!.

Well I was hoping the original poster would have piped up, as I didn't want to steal his thread, but OK here goes :) ...

I have two audio amplifiers (one for bass & one for mid/highs), however I only have one RCA source from my CD player, and would like to split it.

I heard there was a loss in signal if I simply split the original signal, is this true?

Cheers.

gifford said:
Well I was hoping the original poster would have piped up, as I didn't want to steal his thread, but OK here goes :) ...

I have two audio amplifiers (one for bass & one for mid/highs), however I only have one RCA source from my CD player, and would like to split it.

I heard there was a loss in signal if I simply split the original signal, is this true?

It's all to do with impedances - a preamplifier (or CD player) should have a low(ish) impedance output, and an amplifier should have a high(ish) input impedance.

The output impedance of the CD player, and the input impedance of the amplifier form a potential divider - this reduces the output by a certain amount, which should be negligible. Adding a second amplifier puts the two input impedances in parallel - giving half the impedance, this will cause the output to fall by another small amount - but again, this should be negligible.

For your purposes it should work fine, and you shouldn't notice any difference between one or two amplifiers connected.

Nigel Goodwin said:
gifford said:

It's all to do with impedances - a preamplifier (or CD player) should have a low(ish) impedance output, and an amplifier should have a high(ish) input impedance.

The output impedance of the CD player, and the input impedance of the amplifier form a potential divider - this reduces the output by a certain amount, which should be negligible. Adding a second amplifier puts the two input impedances in parallel - giving half the impedance, this will cause the output to fall by another small amount - but again, this should be negligible.

For your purposes it should work fine, and you shouldn't notice any difference between one or two amplifiers connected.

So if I worked out the signal drop, a small amplifier chip would resolve the situation.

Thanks for that, I have been wondering that one for years!

gifford said:
So if I worked out the signal drop, a small amplifier chip would resolve the situation.

It shouldn't be needed, the drop shouldn't even be noticable (and barely measureable).

Try working it out:

Output impedance 1K, input impedance 100K

So you have a potential divider with 1K as the top leg, and 100K as the bottom leg. Connecting another amplifier makes the bottom leg 50K.

Work out both situations!.

Hey - Its Ok that you jumped in- I had to leave for work.As long as i can find a solution.I have used splitters on the outputs in the past - and Yes i do notice a difference in signal loss.I use a computer as my main source of music -2 channels line input,also 2 cd players going in(as back up).The peavy mixer has only 2 main outputs for the amps - I want to add 2 or more outputs for 4 amps .I guess i'm looking for a quick show me how and what stuff i have to get. Thanks

rollinstonedj said:
Hey - Its Ok that you jumped in- I had to leave for work.As long as i can find a solution.I have used splitters on the outputs in the past - and Yes i do notice a difference in signal loss.I use a computer as my main source of music -2 channels line input,also 2 cd players going in(as back up).The peavy mixer has only 2 main outputs for the amps - I want to add 2 or more outputs for 4 amps .I guess i'm looking for a quick show me how and what stuff i have to get. Thanks

You need to know the output impedance of the Peavy mixer, and the input impedance of the amplifiers it's feeding. If the ouputs and inputs are 600 ohm balanced connections, simply paralleling them will drop the level considerably.

Are you wanting to add extra sockets internally on the Peavy? (in which case the circuit diagram would be useful) or add an external box?.

Wow I thought it would be a simple trip to Radio Shack, put this & that together and be on my way.I'd like to ad the outputs inside the Peavy mixer (saving space & weight).I'll try to go to their site and see what they have for my model.Thanks for taking the time with me.

rollinstonedj said:
Wow I thought it would be a simple trip to Radio Shack, put this & that together and be on my way.I'd like to ad the outputs inside the Peavy mixer (saving space & weight).I'll try to go to their site and see what they have for my model.Thanks for taking the time with me.

In that case a circuit diagram would be really useful!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back