Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC car frequency change

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohanevindra

Hi guys,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place for this question, but thought that since it has something to do with radio it might go here.

If there are 2 radio cars on the same frequency, I know that there will be inteference and they cant function properly. I'm guessin that each car just has a transmitter and a receiver. Would I be able to change the frequency on my own?

Also, are there any circuits which can be used to test the frequency and the callibrations?

Assuming they are 'real' RC model cars, and not toys, then they use plug-in crystals, of different colours - you make sure each car uses a different colour.

If they are toys, then you can probably only use one at once.

well...the ones I'm looking at are quite cheap...i would say they're more toys that "real" RC cars..so you dont tihnk I can change it in those? Is it just a simple case of changing the crystal in the receiver and transmitter? would any variations be needed for the coils or the variable resistor?

also, what are these crystals really called?trying to find them on the electronic store website..

well...the ones I'm looking at are quite cheap...i would say they're more toys that "real" RC cars..so you dont tihnk I can change it in those? Is it just a simple case of changing the crystal in the receiver and transmitter? would any variations be needed for the coils or the variable resistor?

Toys don't have crystals, they are just crude systems.

'Real' ones are the kind sold by Tamiya.

also, what are these crystals really called?trying to find them on the electronic store website..

You get them from model shops, not electronic shops - it's a standard item.

ohhhhh.ok..i saw a few nikko and tamiya's but the ones i was thinkin of buying are much more cheaper..so i guess that's not an option then...

will check in the model shops then...thanks!

I do own a couple of cheap RC cars that have matching crystals in the receiver and transmitter. Two of the cars are different frequencies, tonight I'll check if they only changed the crystals out or tweaked the circuits also. Like Nigel mentioned the higher end hobby quality RC cars have nice radios and you can buy crystal packs so when you go to a track with dozens of other enthusiast you can all have fun. Here's one such pack **broken link removed**

If you haven't bought the cars yet, then they usually have channel numbers or color codes on the packaging so two kids in the family can get the same type of car. Anyways, it will generally have a,b or c on one of the bottom corners of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back