Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
1) Got a Pi 3 from Element14.com It has about the same power as my laptop computer. $35.00
2) Many people have warned about using a small power supply. So I got the "5.25V/2.4A Micro USB Switching AC Power Supply". Model # 28-19336.
3) Had some trouble getting the last computer up and running (down load, unzip, format SD card, (get the right format), put the files on CD. So I got a 16gb CD card with "NOOBS" on it. So it should work. lol

1) Plugged in USB keyboard and USB mouse into the ports. Have a very nice wide monitor with HDMI cable. (odd format) Plugged in power and nothing.
2) Put the CD into the computer and it has files.
3) Nothing again.
4) It looks like it is booting. Green light blinks like it is booting but nothing.
5) Found a more standard 1280x1024 monitor.
6) Boots up :)

Java, Mathematica, Python 2 and 3, Scratch, Wolfram,
Office (writer, Math, Impress, Draw, Calc, Base)
Mail, Browser, Some-games,
Calculator, File Manager, PDF, Viewer, Terminal, Text Editor

Wow all here, On my last computer I had to down load all this over days.

"Raspberry Pi Configuration" "Location"=US
"Set TimeZone"=US Mountain

There is a picture of two computers at the top. Don't know what that is so I clicked on it.
Window opened up and (connect to "House", "North", Securenet", "HP-Printer")
I chose House, then entered password.
"Connected to internet";)

Top of screen is a picture of the world. (browser) ??
A blank window opened up. ?? So I typed "MSN.COM"
A picture of people protesting Trump. LOL On internet. :)

YOUTUBE.COM
When I am 64
play
Wow I have songs:happy:

Got pack man running in "scratch".
Have three windows open and running.

Just to prove it works:
This post is from my $35.00 computer.
I will post more later.
20161114_215312.jpg

Last edited:
Magic Ron,

Thanks for sharing info.:cool:

You have spurred me to get my Pi Three and Zero going.:)

Now that you have got your Pi up and running, will you go for the full-blown download (can't remember what it is called) in place of noob?

spec

You can download the latest SD card images from this web page.https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/index.php
Scrole down to "Operating system distributions" I downloaded a version called Raspbien-jessie about 2 weeks ago and it runs OK on a Raspberry Pi model B.

Les.
Hi Les,

You get two options: download 'torrent' and 'zip'. What does 'torrent' mean in this context?

Also, I know I am being lazy, but how do you load an image on to the SD card (I have forgotten and my head is spinning due to the many things that are going on at the moment:banghead:)? If I remember rightly it is not just cut&paste.

spec

Hi spec,
I assume torrent means that it downloads from multiple sites. I used the zip option. It does not take too long to download the SD card image. (It is about 1.5 GB) To create the SD card you use "Win32 Disk Imager" It can be downloaded from here. You just run the program and it asks for the name of the image file (And probably the destination if there is more than one USB storage device.) The SD card is then ready to plug into the Raspberry Pi.

Les.

Hi spec,
I assume torrent means that it downloads from multiple sites. I used the zip option. It does not take too long to download the SD card image. (It is about 1.5 GB) To create the SD card you use "Win32 Disk Imager" It can be downloaded from here. You just run the program and it asks for the name of the image file (And probably the destination if there is more than one USB storage device.) The SD card is then ready to plug into the Raspberry Pi.

Les.
Many thanks Les- you are a mine of information.:cool:

spec

Good news. It ran all night.
My last computer was a PC Duino. I updated its software with out using a PC to help.

Update system:
"sudo apt-get updates" from the command line in LXTerminal

Update programs:
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" from the command line in LXTerminal

MENU-Acessories-Terminal will get you to the command line.
You may be asked about "using more disk space" =Yes
App upgrade may take a while. It needs to go get all updates.

If you don't know what a Raspberry 0 is: $5.00 version, single core ARM 1ghz, less memory, HDMI video, 2-USB, 1/2 size, SD card, The new versions have a camera port.

Last edited:
OBW0549,

SparkFun.com has a lap top case in green or black:
green_pitop.jpg

They also have a tablet case:
14035-03.jpg

If only money fell from trees and landed at my feet. But I would probably hurt my back picking it up.
I really want a touch screen!
I think I will just mount the Raspberry to the back side of the monitor.

There is a "makers club" in town. They bought a 3D printer. I think you can print a case for your project.

Bought an Orange PI a little while ago. Waiting for it to arrive. Plan was to test it with OpenCPN and some type of small monitor, maybe salvaged from an old laptop. I think I just bought into frustration, though as it's not that well supported. We'll see when it arrives.

not that well supported
I chose Raspberry this time because of support.

With the non Raspberry help:
"How do I get the latest operating system?"
"update"
"?how"
"updates"
"?????how"
Three posts later:
"terminal" "updates"
"OK I found a terminal program" "Does not work"
Three posts later:
"apt get updates"
But it is actually apt-get updates
Does not work!
10 posts later:
"Every one knows SUDO APT-GET UPDATES"
"Does not work"
7 posts later:
LXTerminal not Terminal

Every question took days to fight through.

There are many places to get Raspberry help! Some are very simple. Raspberry Pi for dummies. There are many youtube videos. Run the video full screen and watch what is being typed. (ride pause) Some times what comes out of the mouth and what goes into the keyboard are not the same thing.
AND
Over the past year help is better. AND I know more.
There are Raspberry books for 2nd graders. If I go real slow I can follow.

You are dead right Ron,

It is best to go for a widely used product, which isn't necessarily technically the best:

English Language, VHS (included because it was such a good example), Windows, PC architecture, Android, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Canon/Nikon, are just a few examples.

On the other hand, the Beagle Bone is technically better than the Pi, but the support is not as good.

spec

I chose Raspberry this time because of support.
The example is more of a straight linux question. I am fairly well versed in linux so I'm hoping it won't be so bad. I'm only testing it with one application as well, so I'm not going to be doing anything more advanced. We'll see.

I am fairly well versed in linux
I think:
If you are using Windows and don't know DOS ... you can do most things.
If you are using Raspbian, NOOBS or Ubintu and don't know LINUX .... you are at the same point.
Not tried Windows 10.
It is possible to run DOS or LINUX only with out the graphics. (PC or Raspberry Pi)

On my PC I now use "OpenOffice" because of price. It is not quite the same of MS Office. But it works well and translates to/from other Offices.

On the Raspberry Pi:
I am working with Livre Office. I can not get spelling checking to work.
Tried several things. You need to have all the "languages" set to the same thing and have the library set to the same. (or so the help said)
Tools---Option---Languages Settings---Languages (also Writing Aids) I have these set to Default - English (USA)

This what worked for me:
Accessories---Terminal--- then type:
sudo apt-get install myspell-en-us
Then "Y"

The Orange PI came today. I got the Orange PI PC+ which is even less supported, apparently because I like grief. It wasn't too bad, though.
Installed Ubuntu without too much hassle. Wifi didn't work though and read on the forums that Armbian seems to have later builds and there's a specific build for the board I have.
Installed Armbian with less hassle than Ubuntu and everything looks like it's working fine. Ran the apt-get upgrade and everything updated and I can connect over Wifi which is good.
I'll try OpenCPN probably tomorrow. Looks like there is a package already made for it, so it should be fine.

Looks like installing a heatsink on this thing is mandatory if you don't lower all the clocks. It gets real hot if it's made to work hard.

It gets real hot if it's made to work hard.
I noticed the Raspberry also has a heat sink option. Some people even get fans. I am running, not in a box. The CUP temperature right now is 39C. The room is a little cold. The clock is at 1200mhz. I noticed on hot days the clock automatically cuts back to 600mhz. I am thinking about heat sinks. Most of the time the CPU usage is 3%. I had 25% for a while.

I used an old PC heatsink. Trimmed it a bit to get around an inductor. Old tube of thermal glue was unusable so I tried some epoxy with thermal paste mix. Hope it works, cuz it's not coming off.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back