Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Random Solenoid Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbdz

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I am looking for some help to design a circuit. I have zero eletrical knowledge, so I guess that I am just a leech to all those that do.

What I would like to do is have a contoller designed that would randomly open and close a series of soleniods.

I hope that it could be totally self-contained, and battery powered, preferibly "D" cell batteries.

If anybody is willing to offer any help. I will give more details.

Thanks in Advance.

Depends on how random you need it. The project could be very easy if you run it from a simple counter that's only triggered occasionally, which is essentially random. But if true randomness is wanted it's a whole lot more complicated.

A PIC would be the obvious solution but if you've never even soldered before then a PLC would be easier as all you need to do is learn how to program but they're more expensive.

Well, I have built a few PC boards, so the soldiering is not an issue. I just don't have the electrical background to even know where to start. My background is architecture, so I you have any of those questions, I can help you out.

What I am trying to design is a controller for a simple childs water toy. Many amusement parks, at least those in California have installed a water feature with several nozzles mounted in the ground that randomly suirt water in all directions. I would like to build a device that does something similar, but on a smaller, more personal scale.

What I am thinking is a series of water nozzles controlled by solenoids that would randomly open to allow water flow. Pressure would be provided by either a pump, or water pressure from the hose.

It doesn't have to be completely random, but I just don't what it to be too sequential that you know which nozzle is next. Half of the fun is not knowing when and where the next stream of water is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back