Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio interference after wireless install

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwinrocks

I installed a wireless phone charger under my console on my truck but when I place the phone on the charger I get radio station interference. The wires are connected to the fuse panel using an add a fuse and the wires are behind the dash and up under the console but my radio sits high above and away from all this wiring I did. I used a 12V adaptor a 3.0 fast charge car charger and 3.0 fast charge charging pad to make the connections and hot glued the board from the fast charger under the plastic console piece. It charges fine but I can't figure out how to lose the static/interference on the radio.
I added these photos for reference for power connection and ground.

Attachments

• ECEBF351-B957-421B-90EC-8F51A3FE1A3C_1541347500930.jpg
    ECEBF351-B957-421B-90EC-8F51A3FE1A3C_1541347500930.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 1998518D-3F9F-434E-B628-BF12A3580515_1541245931919.jpg
    1998518D-3F9F-434E-B628-BF12A3580515_1541245931919.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 243
Sounds like your charger is a switching regulator, which are very RF noisy. There may or may not be a solution, other than changing the charger. Other option is to run the power leads through a RF choke of some sort, like a "Snap Choke". Alternatively, wrap the wires thru a ferrite choke, like those found on the ends of monitor cables or similar.
I suspect the charger is producing enough RF that it is getting into the power panel.
However, if the RF interference is simply radiating from the charger itself, you would have to replace the charger with one that is RF quiet...
The RF seems to come about under load, when the charger is actually running with enough power to produce the RF via power spikes. This type of RF noise would be worse on the AM band, and less noticeable on the FM band.

Thanks for the fast response.
I went out to double check and it does it even without charging the phone. I'll try some RF snap chokes and maybe try to ground it somewhere that's not near other electronics like the box next to my ground. I've already ordered a second wireless charger. I'll look into all your suggestions.
This what I used but I took the screws out to remove just the charger.
https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Wir...r=1-5&keywords=choetech+wireless+fast+charger Thanks

I had to go through about a half-dozen 12Vdc to 5Vdc chargers to find one that doesn't clobber the VHF AM aircraft communications and Navigation receivers...

AFAIK, the Apple chargers are well suppressed. I run an Apple IPad in the airplane...

It must be in two parts then, one a 12V to 5V USB charger, and a wireless charger pad for the phone. I would suspect the 12V to 5V adapter as the main culprit.

It must be in two parts then, one a 12V to 5V USB charger, and a wireless charger pad for the phone. I would suspect the 12V to 5V adapter as the main culprit.
This is what I used.
From the fuse box
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU59K90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to the 12V adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8WLW2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to the USB Adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0768GN3LV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to the USB-C fast charger that I listed above.

One other note is the wires of the 12V adaptor is silver looking and the rest of the wire is copper. Should I use all copper

If anyone can show me a good combination besides what I've listed I'd really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I would suspect the USB adapter (third item). The wireless charger is still a possible culprit as well. The first two items above are just wiring to tap into a fuse block and provide a lighter output. No real electronics in those. If you want to try a RF choke, put it right behind the cigarette lighter socket.
If possible see if you can find a different 12V/USB adapter. If the noise persists, then it is likely your wireless charger.

I would suspect the USB adapter (third item). The wireless charger is still a possible culprit as well. The first two items above are just wiring to tap into a fuse block and provide a lighter output. No real electronics in those. If you want to try a RF choke, put it right behind the cigarette lighter socket.
If possible see if you can find a different 12V/USB adapter. If the noise persists, then it is likely your wireless charger.

I have a couple of adaptors I can try. Don't think they're fast charge but it will possibly narrow it down.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back