• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankbond

New Member
hi,to all of you
I m shankbond ,currently i m doing my engineering in final year,i have to submit a project which i have choosed as a RADAR.

i m making a radar by using an infrared transceiver which i m somehow making to go rotatory i will interface this antenna with a microcontroller which will interface(controlling the speed of rotation) with this antenna as well as with PC(sending the speed of rotation and the angle of detection).
the problem is:

1> how should i connect a rotating antenna with a stationary microcontroller,initially i have chosen a brush contact with slip ring just as in an in a electric motor(but that is just a theoretical concept,any possible 'practical' alternative will be highly appreciated)

2> the second problem is how should i interface my microcontroller with a personal computer,like i have thought of using a RS-232 cable but that is the hardware level interfacing ,how to create a software level interfacing in C or C++,which functions to be used.


thank you
any help on the aforesaid problems will be highly appreciated.
 

gootee

New Member
Hi shankbond. Welcome!

For the rotating "antenna", you could just use wires if you had it reverse direction after 360 deg of rotation. Simple limit-switches and a relay should work. That might also be a good way to establish your rotation-angle calibration for every cycle.

For PC interfacing, there is lots of already-existing code (and hardware schematics) on the web. You can use parallel port, usb, serial port, or other. For example, do a google.com search for "parallel port interface OR interfacing schematic OR circuit".

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

P.S. You can't really call it "RADAR", since RADAR means "RAdio Detection And Ranging". Maybe it's "IRDAR". If you modulate the IR, which you'll probably have to do anyway, in order to not have it be confused by background IR, then maybe you could also do ranging. Maybe you should think about using a piezo ultrasound transceiver, instead. What information are you going to try to extract and display, from this setup?
 
Last edited:

Super_voip

New Member
I think it would be LIDAR, as the range of a infrared transceiver is very limited the pulse repition rate and the radar pulse will have to be very very short to return any distance information.
 

Krumlink

New Member
I have seen people use Ultrasound using a PIC16F877, I will try to find link.
 

cnetherton

New Member
It also may be possible to use a stationary xmitter/receiver and a rotating mirror at 45*. I don't know if a mirror will reflect IR, though.

CHristopher
 

shankbond

New Member
gootee said:
P.S. You can't really call it "RADAR", since RADAR means "RAdio Detection And Ranging". Maybe it's "IRDAR". If you modulate the IR, which you'll probably have to do anyway, in order to not have it be confused by background IR, then maybe you could also do ranging. Maybe you should think about using a piezo ultrasound transceiver, instead. What information are you going to try to extract and display, from this setup?

thanks,i know that

i will get the angle(direction of object ),its distance and maybe the speed of object.:)
 

shankbond

New Member
Super_voip said:
I think it would be LIDAR, as the range of a infrared transceiver is very limited the pulse repition rate and the radar pulse will have to be very very short to return any distance information.

you could call it anything you wish:)
 

Torben

Well-Known Member
shankbond said:
you could call it anything you wish:)
You could call it a fish if you like, but people are so much more likely to understand you if you call it what it is.


Torben
 

Darth Bagel

New Member
shankbond said:
2> the second problem is how should i interface my microcontroller with a personal computer,like i have thought of using a RS-232 cable but that is the hardware level interfacing ,how to create a software level interfacing in C or C++,which functions to be used.
C# is pretty snazzy and makes it very easy to use the serial port. I suggest it, unless there's some reason you need to stick with C or C++.
 

shankbond

New Member
Darth Bagel said:
C# is pretty snazzy and makes it very easy to use the serial port. I suggest it, unless there's some reason you need to stick with C or C++.

very thanks
 

shankbond

New Member
Torben said:
You could call it a fish if you like, but people are so much more likely to understand you if you call it what it is.


Torben

hmmm!!!!


each and every person has a different way of thinking
so if a fisherman would be designing a radar ,so it would be naming it a fish (funny):D :p

well there are other names you could use too:
(*now serious*)
RADAR(as it is based on the principle of radar)
IRDAR(Infra-Red detection and ranging)

and many more....
 

panther_ninja

New Member
Hi

Suggestion....What if you use a lot of IR (RX)led's in a 360' circle each at a certain degree and then by using some diode switching at a certain frequency , to complete the scanning from 0' to 360', do your detection. No moving parts all electrinoc.
Had experience on the type of radar (tactical air control cenarios with that kind of antenna , no moving parts.
 

shankbond

New Member
panther_ninja said:
Hi

Suggestion....What if you use a lot of IR (RX)led's in a 360' circle each at a certain degree and then by using some diode switching at a certain frequency , to complete the scanning from 0' to 360', do your detection. No moving parts all electrinoc.
Had experience on the type of radar (tactical air control cenarios with that kind of antenna , no moving parts.

thanks a lot my friend
 

ericgibbs

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
Another common way is to have a upwards pointing IR emitter and a rotating prism... Only the prism rotates
 

shankbond

New Member
ericgibbs said:
Another common way is to have a upwards pointing IR emitter and a rotating prism... Only the prism rotates


could you please elaborate it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top