Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Directional Radar and wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

ok, so maybe i watch too much youtube, but this is just soo cool@!
and now i really need one!

I have been studying about how basic radar works, and it is very interesting how mixing works, where they combine the ghz high frequency, and from frequency mixing comes khz wave, which represents distance, very sleek and simple!

But then they get in to the phased array antenna which is also cool by using phase shift(delay) between two transmitters(or array) to propagate the beam in a unified direction, also going back , I remember they do similar for the directional speaker array in this example:
https://blog.takafumiide.com/2010/11/parametric-speaker/

But in order to steer the beam, they need to phase shift the signal going to output transmitters,

1)my question is what circuit can i use to do this(steer a beam)? the best i found were these:
**broken link removed**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-shift_oscillator
is there something better/simpler, i think i would want a stage that works nice with a vco, could i use a pll chip?

2) for TX i would use the example where they use a ramp generator to run a vco, would above work for the situation of variable frequencies, and also what is the point of using this type of chirp in radar, and would pll still work?

3) what if i change the situation where i have fixed transmitter-across the room. and 2 receivers, would i just use the mixer method to compare the RX distances of echos ,?

4) Is the matrix in the Parametric speaker controlled like this, I imagine/read that there is phase delay between the center and edge peizo s , but could not identify which part of circuit is controlling this?

Lots of microwave phase shifters in 180,360,200,400,600 deg range.
Can you afford them?

only if i can find them in a microwave! TY, found "phase shifters" lots of them at manufacture, i could swing 75$ if i really had too, but!

i more ask cos I am half started in a ultrasound project, everything is fin but the receiver circuits(and design), to which i originally was going to use to read unfiltered 40khz ping data and maybe some Doppler,, so i have been reading how normal radar works, and sonar and such

plus, i seen a wave that follows the chirp method, where it starts at low f and runs high, i can see how they could do that with maybe fixed frequencies and shifts, but i would be interested to see how its done dynamically.

Try $750 for a high quality modulated Radar beam shaper, best case.

Sonar in air thru buildings is poor, but in water is excellent.

yeh!, i also wanted to test the ground more so, but even with the low freq 40khz ultrasound, how would i phase offset said beam?

sorry if there is confusion, link posted was my inspiration, not a destination.
i seen some kids do similar too, where they tried beam focusing on some tweeter speakers

a phase shifter , of course! i guess it is limited due to the speed restraints of the opamp..

thnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back