Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi for HB100 radar speed detection sensor instead of adruino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagie

Hey, I am doing a project on speed detection using an hb100 radar sensor and license plate recognition, which involves using raspberry pi. I want to know if I could use raspberry pi instead of andruino as I noticed from similar projects they made use of both but I only have the funds to buy just one of them.

It certainly should be possible, the Pi is far more powerful.

In principle all you need for the HB100 is a single digital input pin configured as input to a counter so you can measure the beat frequency.

Can you help me explain why they used both the Arduino and the raspberry pi if they could have used only raspberry pi

It certainly should be possible, the Pi is far more powerful.

In principle all you need for the HB100 is a single digital input pin configured as input to a counter so you can measure the beat frequency.
Can you help me explain why they used both the Arduino and the raspberry pi if they could have used only raspberry pi.

Attachments

• BE_thesis.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 369
Because it was a thesis and they had no constrains and may have even needed to prove some competence in multiple electronics design elements. I don't open PDFs posted here so maybe an image would be better.

Because it was a thesis and they had no constrains and may have even needed to prove some competence in multiple electronics design elements. I don't open PDFs posted here so maybe an image would be better.
can I send a link

this is the flow chart of the procedure the person made use of. It made me wonder instead of using both Arduino and raspberry, why can't it be only raspberry since it is better.

Attachments

• Screenshot (62).png
    Screenshot (62).png
    343.4 KB · Views: 285
Because the author didn't know how to connect the display to the RPi. Or, it was much easier to use a library that the author found online to display with Arduino vs writing his own on RPi. From my experience, there seems to be much better set of libraries for small graphic displays, seven-segment displays and alphanumeric displays for Arduino vs raspberry pi. Many people think the RPi is limited to an HDMI display or Official Raspberry Pi display. I could see a mini-OLED display being much easier and battery capable than using an HDMI display. If the author could have understood that RPi is very capable with I2C, SPI communication but may have been overwhelmed with also creating text characters to display all the digits on a small OLED display (already available from Adafruit snd other vendors for Arduino so no work at all via author's methods).

Because the author didn't know how to connect the display to the RPi. Or, it was much easier to use a library that the author found online to display with Arduino vs writing his own on RPi. From my experience, there seems to be much better set of libraries for small graphic displays, seven-segment displays and alphanumeric displays for Arduino vs raspberry pi. Many people think the RPi is limited to an HDMI display or Official Raspberry Pi display. I could see a mini-OLED display being much easier and battery capable than using an HDMI display. If the author could have understood that RPi is very capable with I2C, SPI communication but may have been overwhelmed with also creating text characters to display all the digits on a small OLED display (already available from Adafruit snd other vendors for Arduino so no work at all via author's methods).
Thank you very much for the help so far, can you give me pointers to libraries to drive mini OLED displays for RPi. Can we be in touch in case I have further questions.

Thank you very much for the help so far, can you give me pointers to libraries to drive mini OLED displays for RPi. Can we be in touch in case I have further questions.
Which OLED?

There are a few popular displays and all use the SSD1306 or SSD1322 etc chips.
This library can handle most. Use this python library. If you are using spi or want to rotate the image 90, 180 etc or special functions, there are no parameters in the python code to change. Instead, You have to launch the python code from a BASH command line with parameter as listed in the instructions. It is easy to miss so read the library instruction manual are fully, install exactly and work from the chip on our display. Also, proper connections are critical - obviously. Try to use the default pins if possible.

note, this library is intended to display images - jpg, png, etc. you'll need to place the mage in a directory accessible to your code. I made graphics of numbers 0-9 to display and some text image files in 256x64 to say what I wanted. I didn't like the computer fonts. I also got a reasonable replication of a client's logo by turning into 1 bit, 2-color png in imageMagik

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back