Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radar motion detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Searching https://home.howstuffworks.com/question238.htm
Knowing that "some grocery stores have automatic door openers that use a very simple form of radar to detect when someone passes near the door. The box above the door sends out a burst of microwave radio energy and waits for the reflected energy to bounce back. When a person moves into the field of microwave energy, it changes the amount of reflected energy or the time it takes for the reflection to arrive, and the box opens the door."

I would like to build such simple radar, for intruder alarm.
I know there is other method like IR, PIR, ultasonic, but I like to try this radar technology for learning/fun.

Anybody can give me some hint on the TX/RX radio circuit?
What freq range is using?
Thank you.

You send out a continuous radio wave of a certain frequency and then you read what the return frequency is. If the some of the incoming signals have a differenf requency (due to doppler shift of something moving away or towards the sensor) then that means there is movement in the field...a lot easier to do then to measure the time of flight of a pulsed RF signal.

It is not reliable to measure the returning field strength.

The best intruder detector I've used had a combination of microwave and IR detection in the same box, virtually eliminated flase triggering.

IR burst may OK for a beam but for room coverage PIR is easiest.

dknguyen said:
You send out a continuous radio wave of a certain frequency and then you read what the return frequency is. If the some of the incoming signals have a differenf requency (due to doppler shift of something moving away or towards the sensor) then that means there is movement in the field...a lot easier to do then to measure the time of flight of a pulsed RF signal.

It is not reliable to measure the returning field strength.
What freq range you suggest?

A really cheap ready made radar is the Mattel Hotwheels Radar gun, around $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back