Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Race bike mod help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shippy__

Race bike quick shift basics........ as my foot puts pressure on the gear leaver the Quick Shift switch senses the pressure and cuts the spark plugs for a set time which enables me to leave the throttle wide open during shift changes

There are 2 types of quick shift sensors each offering there own benefits and negatives

1. Basic switch type
  • Negatives, have been known to fail have been know to be extremely touchy causing high sides, low sides and thousands of dollars of damage. Flog out easy and get all loosy goosey
  • Positives Onboard ECU has complete control of the cut times and is completely programmable for different rev ranges and gears.
  • These are operated by the Onboard ecu feeding out 5v through the switch to earth and when the circuit is broken the ignition is cut or vice verser for NC/NO which ever way it is set up.... Ignition cuts can be from 20ms to 200ms
url

1. Strain gauge type
  • Negatives, fixed ignition cut time 80ms
  • Positives, Extremly reliable, don't flog out
  • These are operated by intersecting the 12v ignition wire, opening and closing the circuit for 80ms, this 12v wire also powers the strain gauge module
Sensorinstall1_zps8890f2b4.jpg

I have a strain gauge type quick shift on my bike

But I want to program the kill times with my onboard ecu at the click of a button...

To do this I need to tap the strain gauge(12v) to the ecu wire (5v) ...... EG when the 12v wire is cut I need the 5v wire to cut instantaneously

Can you guys hold my hand and point me in the right direction for a solid state relay that would make this work ?

Last edited:
By "when the 12v wire is cut" do you mean the 12V circuit is opened?
I think what you want could be done by one or two transistors but a circuit drawing of what you are trying to do would be a big help in avoiding the design of an incorrect solution.

I'm confused by the 5V and 12V going to ground. Does that mean their voltages are 5V and 12V respectively when they are open?
Do you mean when the 12V line to ground is opened then the 5V to ground should also go open?
If so do you know the current level through the 5V line?

I can't figure out why its fixed at 80ms when others are not.
How is it normally wired?

Last edited:
What is flog out? How many wires to the strain gauge which appears to be an HM?What model # and what motor cycle you riding, so I can look up the ECU and what info do you have on the basic switch, this actually sound like a fairly simple project, just need a few details, specifically, what's the out put of the strain gauge?

Last edited:
I'm confused by the 5V and 12V going to ground. Does that mean their voltages are 5V and 12V respectively when they are open? YES
Do you mean when the 12V line to ground is opened then the 5V to ground should also go open? YES
If so do you know the current level through the 5V line? .497m the multi meter setting was on "2m" dc

In response to your first quest my strain gauge is not programmable because it is the cheap version......

However my Yamaha ecu is programmable for free because I have all the gear already, so I am just trying to get the strain gauge to work for my Yamaha ecu

I wont answer in quotes again sorry

20141204_100203_zpsvdgpksd3.jpg

OK thats mA, the A is for the whole scale.
Do you have a wiring diagram of the stock hookup or the way its hooked up now?
Your diagram of what you want is a bit confusing.
You show two wires going to ground labeled 5 volts and 12 volts but anything that is attached to ground will be at 0 volts.
Do you mean when those wires are disconnected from ground you get those voltages?
I dont see what the strain gauge relay box is switching.
The way you have it drawn it would short out your battery.

in a effort to simplifie things I believe I have made things more confusing

Ill draw everything the way it is.... and we can start again

thanks guys

Untitled1.png

Here's something to get you started, I looked at the HM super lite and your drawing, when the HM activates, it removes power from the orange wire which will turn off the transistor as if the switch type had opened. I assume that once the ECU gets a signal, it take control of every thing regardless of how long the switch is open.
I'm hoping someone else will make a suggestion as to which NPN to use and maybe modify the trigger from the strain gauge.

Last edited:
Untitled2.png
I ran a few schematics through spice and here's the numbers and wave forms of what I came up with. Current from pin 21 was limited to 25ma internally. If you can measure the current from Pin 21 to ground, it may be helpful in choosing the correct FET or transistor.

So u went off track into the dirt?:eek:
Strap on a rocket motor and 4Pyros will think it's just kewl.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back