Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rabbit Hole Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple-simon

I really enjoy what I call Rabbit hole learning, to explain this this I will give you an example of today, I'm sure 99.1% of you have done this many many times. The other 0.1% is a troll :D

So today having got about as far as I want to go with installingMPLABXC8 and compilers, and not having any tools,boards,parts (slightly untrue) and generally having no hands on stuff to do. I decided to have a think about how I might tackle my very long term goal of getting a old dot matrix printer to do some cool stuff with a pic. Yes bonkers idea with zero practical need or want, but the thing is I really like the idea of a pic data logger spewing out the days data on a old Dot Matrix printer.
Partly I think its because I am old, I have so many memories of those printers and the noise! going to my accountant every year to get my accounts printed out, (6 week lead time lol).
I would walk into his office and all you could hear were loads of dot matrix printers in cases with huge fans going full pelt! So anyway back to my point!!

I started looking at cheap DMPs (Dot Matrix Printer from now) on ebay and every time I found one I went looking for the user guide or manual. Now like many/most I go straight to google and bang in a search, like most if I can be bothered or more likely if I didnt get results I wanted first time, I would add say .PDF at the end. Now yes you can get lucky like this, yes you can use google 'dorks' or 'dork' pages, but it still leaves a problem. It still uses google with a few tweaks but it still gives a biased result.
So while going through this process I stumbled on a link to a site that had the manual I wanted, wow it turns out to be a amazing way to find books,manuals almost anything and no dodgy sites.

So thats what I mean by rabbit hole learning, when you start doing one task and end up on a different journey and learn some handy stuff doing it.
Simon

So thats what I mean by rabbit hole learning, when you start doing one task and end up on a different journey and learn some handy stuff doing it.
I am on that journey, I have been doing it for the past 3 or 4 years.
Retirement is wonderful.

JimB

The last time I had put my hands on a DMP as you say, was to convert it in a coil winding machine by a careful brain surgery to insert a PIC 18F452 duly programmed to replace the original micro and the logic glue IC.

The last thing I would do is to use it as a printer. Collecting / displaying data nowadays can be implemented in a much simpler/cheaper way.

I recall entering a supermarket to buy glasses to finally arrive home with just a packet of sausages.

I have an Oki Microline ML182 - terribly ancient, it has a RS232C socket on it (and a parallel port). I use it occasionally to print code on listing paper - easier to write scribbles on it with a pen and spot bozo mistakes and go up and down the listing being able to see a lot of it, than scrolling up and down on screen. I bought the printer 2nd hand especially for the purpose nearly 20 years ago. If I wrote code more often I'd use it use it more. But I stopped being interested in writing anything more complicated than a bash script a long time ago and my forays into pic assembler haven't reached completion because of doing other stuff.

But rabbit hole learning - yep, do it all the time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back