Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the Ozone layer hole just another environmental scam? You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I have been doing some reading on other environmental concern topics lately and while reading up on the issues of ozone layer hole and what has supposedly caused it and found that there is a very disturbing second side to the whole story that is getting little to no public awareness. :(

The ozone layer is measured in its density or concentration levels by Dobson Units, DU for short, and the global average for a healthy ozone layer ranges from 250 DU and up where as the hole is varies between 100 - 200 DU on average not actually zero as certain media and politicians would have you believe.

It would appear that the hole is not a permanent year round event either. It disappears every year for about 8 - 10 months, DU over 250, then comes back, DU under 200, and has been doing so since scientists discovered a way to measure the ozone layer back around 1958. Before then we had no way of measuring and also had no data to show weather its been a normal natural event or other wise.

To give you both sides of the issue here is the one that we are most familiar with that the media and politicians all dwell on. Fair enough but look closely at the timelines of when that data relates too. September - October and that's it! Nothing mentioned for the other 10 months out of the year every year. Go figure.:rolleyes:

https://www.theozonehole.com/ozoneholehistory.htm

Now for the second side to the ozone hole story that we don't see in the media. Apparently for the rest of the year the hole quickly fades and disappears from around mid November all the way to mid August where it's considered non existent every year (DU average over 250).

Animated seasonal maps here courtesy of NASA. https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/

So what do you think? Is it a real man made event that some how just coincides with the seasons every year since it was discovered and first measured or is it a natural event that is primarily all natural in its regular seasonal variations similar to how the winter temp averages are always colder than the summer?

BTW there are many other web sites with similar data other than just these two I linked to here. The ones with obvious political agendas seem to all have similar September - October reference points whereas the lesser biased scientific research all tend to show the whole year round seasonal variation data sets.

To be fair so far I have not been able to find much secondary effects related long term historical studies or data, ice core and or tree ring or the like long term natural records, that shows whether or not that this is a recent cyclic event, 1958 and forward, or something that has been a natural part of natures cycles for millions of years. If anyone has knowledge feel free to link it here!

Just thought some of you would like to know there is a second side to the ozone hole story. :D

Last edited:
All ears here. Maybe you are onto something. I need to learn again too :)

Regards,
tvtech

I am not sure I am on to anything really. The data has been public all the time and open to review or interpretation by anyone which is where I am leaving it.

I just thought that given the broad world wide spectrum of people here that this info might be of interest to others so that when they hear the media start fussing about the ozone layer again next fall they might just remember this and do a little more digging of their own before taking anyone else's word on what is or isn't happening. ;)

Personally I think that hole/thin spot has probably been doing it seasonal minimum/maximum annual cycling as long as our atmosphere has been in existence!

Send $195.00 and I will pray for the Ozone layer! scam? What scam?

Really, I don't know, but I could use the money.

My Mom has rental property and last year the government made her replace all the windows "to save the planet". This year she has to replace the furnace and hot water heater. Next year is insulation upgrade. The windows cost most of one years rent. So who is gong to save us?

It would appear that the hole is not a permanent year round event either. It disappears every year for about 8 - 10 months, DU over 250, then comes back, DU under 200, and has been doing so since scientists discovered a way to measure the ozone layer back around 1958. Before then we had no way of measuring and also had no data to show weather its been a normal natural event or other wise.
Actually, as apparent in the two pages you referenced, ozone measurements were being conducted in Antarctica since 1957 and the 'hole' was not observed prior to 1979.

In the first page you referenced, in the subsection titled "British Antarctic Survey summary 1993":
BAS scientists have been measuring ozone in Antarctica on a daily basis since 1957. There was no ozone hole at all until the late 1970s. The Antarctic ozone layer is not expected to return to normal until the 2070s.

September - October and that's it! Nothing mentioned for the other 10 months out of the year every year. Go figure.:rolleyes:
As seen in your references, this annual phenomena is explained and mentioned clearly. It is in no way hidden. The second video explains very concisely and simply why the effect occurs during the spring (northern-hemisphere fall/autumn).
...during polar winter, temperatures fall below -80^C and aqueous clouds are allowed to form... chemistry can take place on those clouds that converts chlorine from CFCs into an active form. When the sun comes back in the antarctic spring these chemicals destroy ozone at about 1% per day.

BTW there are many other web sites with similar data other than just these two I linked to here. The ones with obvious political agendas seem to all have similar September - October reference points whereas the lesser biased scientific research all tend to show the whole year round seasonal variation data sets.
I don't think this is of importance given the fact that they clearly state the phenomenon only occurs during these periods.

The second page you referenced contains:
It is calculated from the area on the Earth that is enclosed by a line with a constant value of 220 Dobson Units. The value of 220 Dobson Units is chosen since total ozone values of less than 220 Dobson Units were not found in the historic observations over Antarctica prior to 1979. Also, from direct measurements over Antarctica, a column ozone level of less than 220 Dobson Units is a result of the ozone loss from chlorine and bromine compounds.

Perhaps you could draw some correlation between the atmospheric CFC concentration and the ozone abundance from the following plots. Granted, there isn't much data available but it's obvious that the rate of decline increased dramatically after the CFC concentrations peaked.
cfc.ht41.jpgatmos_so_figa_ozone.gif
https://www.theozonehole.com/images/cfc.ht41.jpg
**broken link removed**

Some pretty animations showing the free chlorine atom converting ozone into oxygen:
cfc_anm2.gifo3split.gifhttps://www.theozonehole.com/images/cfc_anm2.gifhttps://www.theozonehole.com/images/o3split.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back