Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

R + C what are they doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power in the UK is 440V 3 phase which gives 240V phase to neutral. Actually, they have gradually reduced that - probably around 220V phase to neutral now.

Mike.
Edit, for clarity, phase to phase = 440V.

How about the voltage (or impedance) between neutral and earth? In the USA/CAN, neutral is connected to a ground-rod driven into the earth below the house.

In the US, every (modern) outlet has two paths to earth ground; one through the "neutral" (white) wire, which is the return for the load current, and the other through the "ground" (green or bare copper) wire, which is not-a-current-carrying conductor (unless there is a fault).

I'm trying to understand how that is done in the UK/EUR?

In the UK the neutral is also earthed and a separate earth wire is also used. Colours Brown - live, Blue - Neutral, Green/Yellow - Earth.

Australia is the same as UK.

Mike.

I believe that for most, if not all, the world's electrical systems the green wire (or a combination with green) has been reserved for exclusive use of a safety ground wire.
Many regulations request that even the holding screws to be tinted green

Straying off topic slightly but I just wanted to point out that the closest we have gotten to a world wide power connector and power supply convention is USB.

Could a UPB - Universal Power Bus - come into existence in the not too distant future?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back