Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick Question / Quick Answer? Regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

Hi, I am working on a prototype and I want to run a separate CE amp at 12 volts as a pre-driver. Well off hand I don't have a 12 volt regulator to work with my 13.6 volt power supply. Can I use a couple of 6 volt regulators and achieve the same results?

If your 6V regulator is a three terminal device, you can put a resistor from the output to the common lead and then a resistor from the common lead to ground. Be aware that the 1.6V input output differential may not be high enough for the 6V regulator, that is now a 12V regulator.

If your 6V regulator is a three terminal device, you can put a resistor from the output to the common lead and then a resistor from the common lead to ground. Be aware that the 1.6V input output differential may not be high enough for the 6V regulator, that is now a 12V regulator.

OK, trying to follow this. Put a resistor from the output of the 1st regulator to the common of the second regulator? Then where would the 2nd regulator input pin be connected?

edit*

Oh, that would be from the power supply i think. Both input pins would be to the power supply. But I need a resistor huh? Let me try this.

Last edited:
I think he was getting at using a single 6V regulator. Input and output are connected as usual. 2 series resistors then go from the output to ground, with the junction of the 2 resistors being connected to the regulator 'ground' pin. There is a few problems with this (due to the ~5mA quiescent current of many regulators) that can be overcome by using small resistors (so that the current through the resistors is >>5mA, or else the error will be quite large).

The other way, which should have better regulation is to connect the 2 regulators that you have as follows: both inputs to the 13.8V, ground of reg 'A' to the ground. 'ground' of the reg 'B' to the output of reg 'A'. You should also connect a resistor from the output of reg 'A' to ground to pass the quiescent current (plus a little extra) of reg 'B', so maybe a 560 ohm (note that general purpose regulators can't sink current).

Note that the regulator you're using may have an headroom requirement of more than 13.8-12=1.8V.

OK cool! It works. I used 5 ohms. Actually I had a 6 volt regulator in the circuit that wasn't doing much work so I came off of that one with another 6 volt regulator and got my 12.

Thanks for help k7elp60 :)

Say, are you a ham....WA4BJO here. I wor 40 meters a good bit but can work all bands.

I think he was getting at using a single 6V regulator. Input and output are connected as usual. 2 series resistors then go from the output to ground, with the junction of the 2 resistors being connected to the regulator 'ground' pin. There is a few problems with this (due to the ~5mA quiescent current of many regulators) that can be overcome by using small resistors (so that the current through the resistors is >>5mA, or else the error will be quite large).

The other way, which should have better regulation is to connect the 2 regulators that you have as follows: both inputs to the 13.8V, ground of reg 'A' to the ground. 'ground' of the reg 'B' to the output of reg 'A'. You should also connect a resistor from the output of reg 'A' to ground to pass the quiescent current (plus a little extra) of reg 'B', so maybe a 560 ohm (note that general purpose regulators can't sink current).

Note that the regulator you're using may have an headroom requirement of more than 13.8-12=1.8V.

Oh, didn't see your post at first. I did it the second way but I only have 5 ohms. I figured it should be small and I need about a 1/2 watts of power. So I had some 10 ohm quarter watts and paralleled them. Seems OK. Still have to make the amp I want to run off of it. I might end up needing more power so I figure I could put another one or two 10 resistors in parallel. I got to feed two 11 watt push-pull transistors but don't think I will need the full 11 watts. Hope not but they will be driving two push-pull 100 watters. Their all matched pairs. Wish me luck...lol.

I don't see the problem, if you design your circuit correctly it should work from 13.6V as well as 12V. If it's going to be run from a lead acid battery then you should design it so it works from 10V to 15V with optimum performance between 11V and 13V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back