Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quick generator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxcastenada

Say I wanted to build an induction generator for a vertical axis wind turbine...

Could I receive an appreciative boost in energy production by using a high grade neodymium magnet?

Also, if a neodymium magnet were used, would it be possible to shield it to prevent other issues, say, interference?

Thanks in advance should anyone care to take a shot at answering.

Peace.

Apologies if I phrased this too vaguely.

I'm not certain which equation would be used to calculate induction potential as factored by field strength, etcetera. I'm curious as to how proportional output would be referenced in relation to magnetic field strength.

Some neodymium magnets have warning labels stating: "THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT TOYS AND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS! KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN! - THESE CAN EASILY CRUSH FINGERS! WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS.

If you really need unbelievably powerful magnets, here they are.
Uses include magnetic steering of nuclear particles in accelerators, levitation devices, magnetic beam amplifiers, scrap iron separators, etc.
Beware - you must think ahead when moving these magnets.
If carrying one into another room, carefully plan the route you will be taking. Computers & monitors will be affected in an entire room. Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly considerable distances - and at great speed - to attach themselves to this magnet. If you get caught in between the two, you can get injured.
Two of these magnets close together can create an almost unbelievable magnetic field that can be very dangerous. Of all the unique items we offer for sale, we consider these items the most dangerous of all. Our normal packing & shipping personnel refuse to package these magnets - our engineers have to do it. This is no joke and we cannot stress it strongly enough - that you must be extremely careful - and know what you're doing with these magnets.
Take Note: Two Super magnets can very easily get out of control and break fingers and even your arm if opposing poles fly at each other. If working with multiple Supermagnets, always handle one magnet at a time, secure it, then proceed to the next magnet.

These magnets are rated Grade N45, which I take to be somewhat stronger than normal permanent magnets.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to whether it would be feasible to use one in an permanent magnet alternator/induction generator inside a wind turbine?

In terms of an increase in output, it depends on the mechanical efficiency of the wind rotor. The ND magnets will have more field lines cutting the conductors, so the output will be greater for any given rotational speed.

But, the power required to turn the rotor at a given speed will also be greater. If your vanes can produce the extra torque, then you'll extract more power from the wind. If not, then you will get the same power, but at lower speeds (same wind speed, lower rotational speed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back