Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question about switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wejos

hi guys,

two terminals shorted labeled as SW Power in panel 1 of the MOBO will cause the CPU to turn on. Sometimes a switch called micro-switch is used to short these two terminals. I also noticed that printers use the same turning-on and turning-off style, a momentary shorting of two terminals will turn on the printer.

my question is i don't know the name of this switch, i've seen micro-switch but they are large ones compared to, say for example the ones used in printers. the electronic-store people were laughing at me since i did not know the correct name of the part. I had trouble explaining to them what i wanted to buy. can you please teach me the name of this switch?

as usual thank you very much for your help.

-SPST (means it has 2 terminals only)
-momentary action (means it only works when held down)
-normally open (means the contacts are normally OPEN, then close when activated)
-pushbutton (refers generally to most of these type devices)
-tact switch (refers to the tiny square ones they use on PCBs)

So a "SPST momentary-action normally-open pushbutton" should get you one that mounts in a front panel etc. For the real tiny ones to be soldered onto a PCB tell the jerks it might be called "tact switch".

Kindof ironic since "tact" is something they seem to be lacking...

LMAO

you said it

tact switch, a "SPST momentary-action normally-open pushbutton", thank you very much for your help Mr RB.

tact switch

tact switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back