Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Current Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

cremaster

I am just beginning electronics as a hobby and have trouble understanding the following Hbridge circuit shown on this page:

**broken link removed**

My confusion is about direction of electron flow. I know electrons have negative charge. I know that in a circuit the electrons flow from the side where there is a surplus of electrons to the side where there is a defecit of electrons, so they flow from the negative side to the positive. Ive been told that the GROUND symbol in DC circuits is usually denoting the negative side of the voltage source. Also Ive read that the arrows in our symbology, such as in a diode or in a BJT are all pointing AGAINST the flow of electrons.

But this is conflicting for me, in the above circuit for instance. It doesnt make any sense that the electrons would be flowing from the bottom of this circuit up to the positive 2-5V and to the logic inputs. So they must be flowing from the +2-5V down to the ground (which is the negative side).

So do we by convention pretend that electrons are positive and flow from positive to negative? Then which way are electrons truly flowing in this diagram? Are they actually going with the arrows? Have we simply LABELLED the negative side as the positive side?

I really hope you can help, Ive been struggling with this for a while, evidently I have Edision to thank for all this confusing stuff.

Thank you!

There's no need whatsoever to concern yourself with electron flow and current flow, it has no bearing on the operation of a circuit, and is just confusing you.

But electron flow is from negative to positive, and conventional current flow is from positive to negative.

Personally I consider flow is from the top of the circuit down to the bottom, regardless of polarity - which, as I said, makes no difference to the operation in any way.

Conventional (real) current flows in the direction of the arrows. Electrons move the other way. Forget you ever heard of electrons.

I really hope you can help, Ive been struggling with this for a while, evidently I have Edision to thank for all this confusing stuff.
Blame Benjamin Franklin, not Edison. He's the one that arbitrarily chose the polarity for charge (long before the electron was identified as the source of electricity).

Edit: But as Mike ML says, forget about electrons and just use current flow from positive to negative. The only time you really have to worry about electrons is if you studying the operation of vacuum tubes (valves).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back