Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about BT fibre to home (FTTP) broadband and phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Jones

Most Helpful Member
Does the router supplied support the use of both digital voice phone (Which use a wireless connection to the router.) AND normal phones plugged into sockets on the router or can it only support one of these options ? I have searched BT's website but can't find the answer to this question. I am hoping that someone that has this service can answer the question.

Les.

The only wireless connection for phones using the BT smarthub router is DECT.
The BT digital voice adapter is a DECT - POTS converter. You can use that and other DECT handsets at the same time; it just emulates a handset.

No idea on the built-in sockets, they may work as well, or not..

Thanks for your reply. I did not know if the "digital voice phones" that are supplied as part of the deal used a different protocol to standard DECT handsets. You information suggests that I should be able to register are existing DECT phones to the BT smart hub.

Les.

Thanks granddad for that link. On it I found some comments that agree with what rjenkinsgb has told me about the socket on the smart hub behaving like a DECT phone as far as the smarthub is concerned. The main reason I was asking is my workshop is just on the range limit of DECT phones so I have a normal phone connected there.

Les.

I use these - you can have up to two on a normal DECT base, the handsets can roam between the base and the repeaters.

Or the BT version etc.

Hi rjenkinsgb, Thanks for the link. I already have a set of three Panasonic DECT phones so with the two supplied as part of the BT deal I will have enough.

Les.

Hi rjenkinsgb, Thanks for the link. I already have a set of three Panasonic DECT phones so with the two supplied as part of the BT deal I will have enough.

Les.
Where I used to work we sold telephones (amongst many electrical items), and by FAR the best DECT ones were Panasonic, we hardly ever had any come back faulty at all (and they were our biggest seller), the BT ones were complete crap, and we load's of faulty ones returned. Other makes came in between those two, but none were anywhere near the Panasonic's.

Last edited:
I stick with the Siemens professional / business ones, I've never had a problem with any, including quite a few supplied to customers over the years.

We are using Gigaset SL400 handsets now, as the batteries for the SL1s we used to use are no longer available (ones that actually work, that is).

I now have the BT FTTP broadband installed so here is an update.
The BT Smart Hub 2 does support the use of the phone port on the router aswell as up to 5 DECT phones.
I was only expecting the phone port to support a single phone as I expected it would not provide enough ring tone signal to drive the ringer circuit of more than one phone.
I monitored the incoming ring signal with the old phone system so I could compare it with the ring signal provided by the BT Smart Hub 2.

Here is the information on the two ring signals.

For phone sevice from exchange via copper wires.

Ring sequence.
Voltages with respect to A line. (Plug pin 5)

Static state of B line -50 volts (Plug pin 2)

Incoming call line goes to about +50 volts with ring tone superimposed on it

Ring frequency about 25 hz (About 53 volts rms.)

T = 0 DC level goes from - 50 to +50 volts
T = 1.60 seconds Start of first ring tone burst.
T = 2.0 seconds end of first ring tone burst
T = 2.2 seconds start of second ring tone burst.
T = 2.66 seconds end of second ring tone burst.
T = 4.7 seconds Start of next pair of bursts.

Gap between pairs of bursts about 2.1 seconds.
This is the waveform.
SDS00003.jpg

For phone port on BT Smart Hub 2.

Ring frequency about 25 hz (About 54 volts rms.)

T = 0 DC level goes from +48 to -48 volts
T = 1.50 seconds Start of first ring tone burst.
T = 1.9 seconds end of first ring tone burst
T = 2.1 seconds start of second ring tone burst.
T = 2.5 seconds end of second ring tone burst.
T = 4.5 seconds Start of next pair of bursts.

Gap between pairs of bursts about 2.0 seconds.
This is the waveform.
SDS00005.jpg

I now have the phone port on the Smart Hub 2 working with two phones and a DECT phone base.

Les.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back