Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pwm inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogunyemi

I need your advice. I want to build a pwm inverter as a project. For long I have been trying to use thyristor as a switch with ICL3038 as waveform generators. I encountered a lot of problems so I was advised to use mosfet, bcos of time factor I yielded. Parts of the problems are:getting the inductor & capacitor optimum values for commutation and how to winding the inductor. I intend using McMurray-Bedford configuration but I was told that with 12-24v dc input and 240voutput will not give desired effect bcos of push-pull effect of tightly coupled inductors. In literatures(Rashid:power Electronics & also C Lander)high dc voltage are often used as design example . Many pple here are familiar with mosfet but not so with thyristor.Not only this, the ICl3038 I want to use has the inscripition"Not recomended for new design" in the manufacturer website. Actually, the spwm control circuit I got was designd in 1994. Bcos of these and others, could you please advise me whether to go back or go ahead with mosfet. Better still I will appreciate if I can get as much information on the two so as to decide which to embark upon.

You don't need to use an old ICL8038 sine-wave oscillator. You can use any sine-wave oscillator circuit you find. I would make a simple square-wave oscillator then filter it into a sine-wave with an 8th-order switched capacitor Butterworth lowpass filter IC from Maxim. I still have some good 4th-order ones when National Semi used to make them.

Your PWM circuit is basically a class-D audio amplifier that drives a stepup transformer instead of a speaker. There are many class-D audio amp ICs and circuits available today and they all use Mosfets.

TI has a 240W class-D audio amp IC that includes everything except a digital signal input.

Attachments

• tas5152_170.gif
    tas5152_170.gif
    9 KB · Views: 945
Hi
well scr's come in two flavors phase control which are to slow for pwm, and inverter grade which are faster and can be used for pwm up to a certain speed... transistors have been the way to go for high speed pwm.. device loss internal resistance in the on state is lowest in many large current IGBT's
these have been the industrail devices for high power inverters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back