Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pulse generator using NE564

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitwaterfish

Hi all:

i want to build a pulse generator using NE564, and the frequency of the pulse is from about 500KHz to 10MHz, could you tell how to use the NE564 as a pulse generator?

Thanks

Eric,Hero999,

Thanks very much. I am now dealing with the circuit but the output frequency do not change when I change the input frequency. And the output frequency is about 10MHz. (When I change the value of Co, the output frequency will change.) How can I change the output freq with changing input signal.

I used the circuit of Figure 12 in the datasheet(NE564).

waterfish

hitwaterfish said:
Eric,Hero999,

Thanks very much. I am now dealing with the circuit but the output frequency do not change when I change the input frequency. And the output frequency is about 10MHz. (When I change the value of Co, the output frequency will change.) How can I change the output freq with changing input signal.

I used the circuit of Figure 12 in the datasheet(NE564).

waterfish
What did you use for the frequency divider?

For test, I just connected pin 9 to pin 3 directly. So N=1, the output frequency would be equal to input frequency. But even I removed the input signal, there was also output signal as I mentioned before.

hi,

Insert a divider ic as shown on fig12. The Vco= f = N [divider] * fT[ the osc input freq]

If you use say, use parallel load dividers, you can set the N value being loaded into the divider using bit switches or bin/bcd switches.

A HEF4059B programmable divide by N counter would be a suitable ic for a final product.

[you could use a simple divider to experiment]

Eric

Hi Eric,

I used a 74HC4060 as the divider, but the problem was not solved. I found that the output frequency only changed when I changed the value of Co.

waterfish

hi,
Im puzzled why the cct in Fig12 is not operating in way its described.

As I havn't got a NE564 on the shelf I cannot duplicate your setup.

Looking on the web, google, there are lots of application notes on the NE564.

These may suggest a cure.

I'll keep looking, will come back if any succes.

Eric

hitwaterfish said:
Hi Eric,

I used a 74HC4060 as the divider, but the problem was not solved. I found that the output frequency only changed when I changed the value of Co.

waterfish
The output is TTL compatible. It is not 74HC compatible. You need to use a 74HCT frequency divider.
This part is a phase locked loop (PLL). If you don't have experience with PLLs, I'm not surprised that you are having difficulty. You are probably better off leaving out the frequency divider to start with. As the divider ratio N goes up, the loop gain goes down, and lock is more difficult to obtain. I'm not sure how high N can be and still have the part lock.
Do you know that, if you set the VCO free-running frequency to F, and the divider ratio to N, that the input frequency must be F/N? What are you using as a signal source? And why do you want to use a PLL to generate your pulses?

hi Ron,

Have you had the opportunity to look at the HEF4059B as a suitable divider for the NE564..

I have used the HEF4046 in the past for PLL work, never played with NE564 device.

Eric

ericgibbs said:
hi Ron,

Have you had the opportunity to look at the HEF4059B as a suitable divider for the NE564..

I have used the HEF4046 in the past for PLL work, never played with NE564 device.

Eric
Eric, I have to confess I have never used the NE564, but I used to do a lot of PLL design, and I know that PLLs are finicky, especially when the feedback divider is large.

Ron H said:
The output is TTL compatible. It is not 74HC compatible. You need to use a 74HCT frequency divider.
This part is a phase locked loop (PLL). If you don't have experience with PLLs, I'm not surprised that you are having difficulty. You are probably better off leaving out the frequency divider to start with. As the divider ratio N goes up, the loop gain goes down, and lock is more difficult to obtain. I'm not sure how high N can be and still have the part lock.
Do you know that, if you set the VCO free-running frequency to F, and the divider ratio to N, that the input frequency must be F/N? What are you using as a signal source? And why do you want to use a PLL to generate your pulses?

Hi Ron,

I am now building a micro-EDM pulse generator. It needs a very short pulse width. I have got some high speed MOSFETs and MOSFET drivers recently. I want to test how high the frequency can be. So I need the signal source. I have use the LM567 before but I cann't use it here because it is not able to make the high frequency pulse. I have been looking for a efficient and low-cost way to build the signal source because I just want to do some experiment. I am not familiar with the NE564. I thought if I set the diveder ratio to N and the input frequency to F, the output frequcney would be N*F. So I could get different output frequencies. As you said, this way wouldn't work. Maybe I should choose some other way.

Thanks for the advice. :)
Thanks all.

having the same problem

i deal with the same problem as you.i want to ask how do u solve your problem?

Last edited:
I build an edm

Dear friends: years ago I build a type Lazarenko machine, it runs ok but I want to optimize or reform it for its better performance, and I wonder if you can send me sketch of your circuits. I can send you mines, if you like. It would be grateful to me to share it. Thanks a lot. A hug, and sorry my grammar, I’m not american: Luis Ballin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back