Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulse Counter (Need Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoIST

Hello,

im a mechanical enginneer and want to buy or build in case theres nothing cheap avaiable something able to do this:

a pulse counter, something that receives pulses of about 0.5V and count them and when it gets to N pulses it triggers a pulse that will be aquired by another device. Basically its some sort of circuit that counts pulses emitted by a "Incremental Encoder" and when it gets to N pulses it will send a pulse to be aquired by a device that will trigger a laser. Propably i have to do something in PIC but since im a mechanical eng. i dont know much about this. Can anyone help me?

thanks for reading :)

Hello,

im a mechanical enginneer and want to buy or build in case theres nothing cheap avaiable something able to do this:

a pulse counter, something that receives pulses of about 0.5V and count them and when it gets to N pulses it triggers a pulse that will be aquired by another device. Basically its some sort of circuit that counts pulses emitted by a "Incremental Encoder" and when it gets to N pulses it will send a pulse to be aquired by a device that will trigger a laser. Propably i have to do something in PIC but since im a mechanical eng. i dont know much about this. Can anyone help me?

thanks for reading :)

hi,
There are many logic type counters that will do that action, you would have to raise the 0.5Vdc to say 3Vdc or 5Vdc in order for the counters to respond to the pulse.

What sort of count number range are you looking for.?

Thanks for the time,

to amplify the signal wouldnt be a problem though i do wanna the fastest response possible.

I need something that can count to at least a 1000 pulses with a resolution in the order of miliseconds at least, and that when it get to the N pulse (say 1000) it would restart, and start over.

This is to be implemented in a turbine the objective is to this counter receive the pulses from the "incremental encoders" that marks the angular position of the turbine so that the counter triggers a pulse when the turbine blades are on a particular position. This is one time per rotation.

Hope my english can be read.

And im really thankfull for your time

Thanks for the time,

to amplify the signal wouldnt be a problem though i do wanna the fastest response possible.

I need something that can count to at least a 1000 pulses with a resolution in the order of miliseconds at least, and that when it get to the N pulse (say 1000) it would restart, and start over.

This is to be implemented in a turbine the objective is to this counter receive the pulses from the "incremental encoders" that marks the angular position of the turbine so that the counter triggers a pulse when the turbine blades are on a particular position. This is one time per rotation.

Hope my english can be read.

And im really thankfull for your time

hi,
Most of the modern logic counters will work up to a µSec clock rate.

You can get dual decade counters in one IC case, so two IC's would give you 10,000.
Tap off points could be at 10,100,1000 or 10,000 counts or with extra logic, from 1 to 10,000!

Your English is just fine.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back