Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PTC Thermistor: where to buy quantity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfisch

I am repairing the power supply of a halogen desk lamp.

It uses a PTC Thermistor for heat/overload protection and it has physically decomposed (leads fallen off the package - it looks similar to a disk capacitor).

Markings on it say PTC C840 and after web research it seems it is an EPCOS B59840C0160A070. Where can I but just one of these ? Online or brick&mortar ? (I can go to NYC if need be).

It is rated at 400mA, 6 Ohms, 160 degrees C.

Spec sheet is at **broken link removed**

I have been surfing the web and the closest thing I can find in US is submit request for quote which I assume means they want to deal with people that need 100's. I've been away from electronics for quite some time. Where can a DIY electronics guy go these days ? TIA for any help.

www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com, www.newark.com, also future-active, alliedelec. They'll charge you 500% of list bulk price, but at least you won't have to buy them in quantities of 1000.

I think Digikey and Newark are both Epcos distributors, but I could just be imagining it.

BTW, if you look at the contact info page from the manufacturers, they'll usually list their distributors.

Is this just being used for over current protection?

If so you can't find said componant then just replace it with a slow blow fuse or breaker.

Hi Rdfisch
Is it in series to input AC supply before the bridge rectifier (or just after the bridge before the elcetrolytic cap)to prevent inrush current ? (could perhaps be an NTC ) PL try to check again. if so you can very well follow HERO999's advice or even think of a fuse resistor.

I think it's the same as a pollyfuse.

Many suppliers sell these, try Farnell, RS componants, Rapid electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back