Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
A program with 6 assembly instructions has to be executed on an 8 bit pipelined CPU. The CPU has a 6 bytes instruction pre-fetch Queue, which fetches the instructions and fills the pipeline
1] What would happen if the 5th instruction in the program is an unconditional jump / branch ?
2] Can the number of address lines for the CPUs be determined?

Again, not enough information to answer your question, how many instructions does it take to execute the unconditional jump or branch and how long it takes to re-fill the pipline. If you want us to do your homework for you the least you should do is provide enough information to answer it.

Considering the PIC16F877:

All i understand is that an unconditional jump/branch takes two instructions instead of one. From reading up about prefetching with pipelining in microprocessors it causes stalling of the processor when a condition like this occur. Not to sure about determining the number of address lines.

Last edited:
It stalls until the instruction pipeline is filled, so however deep the pipeline is. I thought it was worked into the cycle count on the branch instructions.

Thanks i read something like what you mentioned but wasn't sure about what it was trying to explain but nevertheless i think i got the basic point about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back