Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonsniper108

Hello everyone I am making a solar rechargeable battery USB thing. I got all the parts and I know that a USB out put Is about 5V and is .500mAmps. My solar plane out put is about 6V and it's current is about 1amps. My batteries are two D cell and there out put together are about 2.5 and it's current is about 7.6Amps. I connect my solar plane to a Diode to stop the flow to go back which then is connect to the postive connection of my battery holder then to a resistor (4.7) which lowers the current to about .550mAmps. Which will go to my female side of the USB. and then complet the circuit by connecting the negative to the negative end to the battery holder and solar plane. Now the problem is that my friend is saying that I need to add a voltage limitar on it right between the solar plane and the battery holder. If I do how would do this?
P.S i know I need to double the batteries and the resistor but overall do i need the voltage limitar in it or no?

Last edited:
The rechargeable battery cells limit their voltage. But you need something to detect a full charge then reduce the current to a trickle.

The rechargeable battery cells limit their voltage. But you need something to detect a full charge then reduce the current to a trickle.
how do I do that please explain thanks :D or should I make a LED detection thing that will tell me when it is fully charge (still don't know how to make (-_-))

Last edited:
Most people use a battery charger IC to properly charge a battery. Maxim and many other semiconductor manufacturers make them.

thanks but I still don't know how to put that into my circuit
To properly charge a battery then use a battery charger IC. Its datasheet will show how to do it.
Pick a battery charger IC for the type of battery you have (lead-acid, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH or Lithium).

You need to connect the solar panel to the D cells (via a diode) and include a multimeter set to current.
Pick a sunny day and let us know the current after about 30 minutes. Then we can advise you of the value of a simple current-limiting resistor or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back