Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project: Fluoro Lamp Power Inverter (12v)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been covered many times, and misunderstood almost as much. An asymmetric primary drive usually causes an asymmetric secondary voltage. There is indeed no DC in the secondary, if the load is resistive. However, a fluorescent tube isn't resistive. The tube will only conduct when the voltage is high enough. Since the voltage isn't symmetrical, this can mean that the tube only conducts on half of the cycle and acts as a half wave rectifier.

Thanks, I'll post a link to your post everytime I see one of these crappy circuits.

I am all for building stuff for fun, pride & learning but when I found the small inverters "CFLINV" from oatley electronics I abandoned my fluro project & bought a box of em at 4$ each. They start well cold (frosty morning) & so far tube life has been good. I get about 14W from an 18W tube (i think, damm memory)

I have the 18Wtubes in my shed & caravan from 12V & plenty bright enough.

Attached is sch I traced out from PCB.

These inverters are actually from 12V CFL lamps.

Attachments

• oatley fluro inv.pdf
    7.8 KB · Views: 892
It looks like you picked up a bargin.

It's nothing special though, just a typical Royer converter like nearly every other inverter out there.

Hi guys!
Can someone help me with schematics for a ballast that can drive 4 40W tubes and run on 325V DC (ie. rectified 220V AC)? I have a bunch of 2SC2526 transistors lying around and some E-cores from AT-powersupply's, they should be usable?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
That'll be 325V dc

Last edited:
Well, I can see a couple of schematics there, but as I am not so clever with polish, I don't understand much... doesn't look like a FL ballast to me. :p

hi, hsab,
i am studant of tybsc. electronics. in this year i want to do the project so can you help me for that. my email id is
nil213_gaikwad@yahoo.co.in
&
nileshsgaikwad@hotmail.com
ok. plz rpl soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back