Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Project enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this is the right topic, so the mods can move it where it belongs.

I'm building a few projects that are slightly larger than your hand (some quite a bit larger) making locating a cost effective enclosure difficult. I'm wondering how you all go about finding project enclosures or where you get the enclosures for your projects from.

Most of you go about this backwards and construct the project then try to find an enclosure to fit it in.

I look at what enclosures are avaliable for a budget price and then design to fit the enclosure.

To start with it gets a little tricky desiging this way, but soon it becomes easy as you often find you already have 1/2 a circuit you can use from a previous design.

Pete.

I've seen and done it many ways. What I have found works best, is to design the circuit through simulation to identify all on and off board components to allow you to determine what exactly you need to purchase. Then determine the absolute smallest dimensions and optional footprints for the layout.

The two projects on the top of my list have either a lot of off board parts (through enclosure items) or the parts are VERY large (think industrial controls and harness wiring instead of PCBs and ICs).

But that still leaves you with the original question...where do you go for bargain enclosures?

Repurpose old ones or think outside the box and use stuff that was not made to hold electronics. IE Tuperware, Altods tins, cigar boxs, PVC pipe, cassette tape cases.......

You ask a question and fail to list your location in your profile, then to me its a opened ended question and pissing in the wind to quote an answer relevent to where you might be located.
I could quote my local supplier i use to no advantage to your location.

Simple answer is .....if you dont give the details we cant give the answers!!!!

Pete.

PS. my profile tells you im in Adelaide, which is in South Austrailia, where the hell are you????

to be fair i think the OP was asking in general rather than where he could get enclosures in his location. i scour boot fairs and i am always looking for "box's" when out and about, is surprising what you can find when you look around :D

SABorn; Australia? Oh, I thought you were in France (that's the city of Adelaide I know of). So how about some help instead of off hand remarks. Do you know of any suppliers in the United States?

Last edited:
My point was, not if im in France or in down under Oz ,but if you give details we can then work with. (regular problem on the forum)

Sorry if in Oz i could help, but now you have given a location the local boys to you, might be able to help you.

Where in the States are you, as it might help further.

Remember the better the information supplied the better the anwsers received.

Good luck.

Pete.

I was hoping that the question would result in few categories of answers, including internet locations, brick and motar locations, and general types of locations especially those that are not obvious (ie., carrying boxes that can be repurposed). I know that electrical junction boxes are fairly inexepensive so an electrical supply house would be an option. To some a house wiring supply store would not be thought for an enclosure for a PCB project enclosure. What other types of places?

First since you are located in the US I like enclosures manufactured by Hammond and Bud just to name a few. I generally deal with Allied Electronics and here is a link to Allied. Other major distributors also carry those lines of enclosures and cabinets.

When I begin planning for an enclosure I generally make a few considerations especially for large enclosures. Do I want for example to go with a 19" rack mount design? I also need to consider the environment and select a NEMA rating for the cabinet. Water proof, dust proof, whatever proof. Do I want/need splash guards on exposed meter panels? There is a hell of a list of variables to consider in an industrial atmosphere. I determine size based on what will be going in the thing. I also like to leave head room for additions and changes.

Attached is a recent build that will be completed soon and is currently in testing stages. The cabinet interfaces with other cabinets and a compouter workstation. The cabinet I chose and used was one of these units. Actually two of them with the second now in work. Actual ID tags are being made up at this time.

Anyway, that is where I buy and how I buy. I also don't skimp or cut corners on hardware.

Just My Take
Ron

Attachments

• C2 1.jpg
    C2 1.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 149
  • C2 2.jpg
    C2 2.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 156
Ron t6hats a bit overkill just for a few flashing LEDS on the front :D

I always house five cent LEDs in 2K USD cabinets. :)

Actually no LEDs. All front panel indicators are 24 VDC incandescent lamps. Sometimes I use 24 Volt LED assemblies that fit the same sockets. Nice but expensive but they doi last forever.

The panel is part of a much larger autoclave control system. Just a large vessel that is heated and runs under high temperatures (about 600F) with deionized water in it. There are 24 temperature inputs as well as assorted pressures and flow rates. Heating is done using large band heaters. I have some images of the vessel somewhere.

I did the panel design and layout, however, I can't take credit for the neatness as I have techs do all that work. Fortunately I have great technicians, they like being called the "worker bees". I feed them drawings and they make things happen. I can't say enough good about our techs.

Overall, 90% of the system is automated running on computer control. The few front panel controls are there just in case.

So far (fingers crossed) the design is working out quite well.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back