Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming 16F628A

Status
Not open for further replies.

konservatorium

I used to use this circuitry
**broken link removed**
to program the 16F628 PIC using FPP. It doesn't work with the 16F628A.

What to change (hw and sw) to program this kind of device

Have a look at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk which also uses the parallel port. You will need to build a new programmer to use the WinPicPro software but all the info you need is on that site.

kchriste said:
Have a look at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk which also uses the parallel port. You will need to build a new programmer to use the WinPicPro software but all the info you need is on that site.
Thank you for your suggestion. I do not need to design and build a new circuitry but I need to adjust the values for the program to work with my device.

Currently WPP treats the device as it wasn't there. Do you see the problem's cause on the attached screenshots ?

Attachments

• Einstellungen1.jpg
    Einstellungen1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Einstellungen2.jpg
    Einstellungen2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 738
The 16F628A and 16F628 use totally different programming algorithms....
Your problem is that you need to select 16F628A instead of 16F628:

Attachments

• Einstellungen1.jpg
    Einstellungen1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 788
If only he had to select 16F628A then I don't think he had asked. The following is the device list included in FPP.

Code:
DEVICE device[] = {             /* list of known devices and sizes */
    {"16F83", 83, 512, 64}, {"16F84", 84, 1024, 64},
    {"16F85", 85, 1024, 64}, {"16F86", 86, 2048, 64},
    {"16F627", 627, 1024, 128}, {"16F628", 628, 2048, 128},
    {"16F870", 870, 2048, 64}, {"16F871", 871, 2048, 64},
    {"16F872", 872, 2048, 64}, {"16F873", 873, 4096, 128},
    {"16F874", 874, 4096, 128}, {"16F876", 876,  8192, 256},
    {"16F877", 877, 8192, 256}, {NULL, 0, MAXPM, MAXDM}
};

The FPP programming software was created in 2001 and does not in its device list has the newer "A" types of PIC which require a different algorithm to program them. I have the feeling that Nigel's WinPicPro is a more updated or expanded version based on FPP judging by the hardware menu.

Since you have tried using WinPicPro but it does not work, you have no choice but to upgrade your hardware. Perhaps you can try searching on the NET for other successful programming arrangement using very few parts. Have a look on the following thread.

Yet another PIC parallel port programmer

Edited: Added pointer to another thread related to a simple parallel port programmer

Last edited:
eblc1388 said:
I have the feeling that Nigel's WinPicPro is a more updated or expanded version based on FPP judging by the hardware menu.

No, I've never heard of FPP - I suspect he showed screen shots from both programs - and WinPicProg far predates FPP, WinPicProg was the worlds first Windows based PIC programmer (long before MicroChip moved to Windows).

Have a look on this link I found. I saw "David Tait" on the webpage heading.

**broken link removed**

The 16F628A and 16F628 use totally different programming algorithms....Your problem is that you need to select 16F628A instead of 16F628
Good idea, I also came to this conclusion before.

Since you have tried using WinPicPro but it does not work, you have no choice but to upgrade your hardware.
I do not need to design and build a new circuitry but I need to adjust the values for the program to work with my device.
This programmer is to be used with another program than FPP; I used it with FPP and it worked. It is similar to DT's "Quick and Dirty". Additionally I don't know if it doesn't work at all. This is why I uploaded these two screenshots for you to understand what was entered/adjusted wrong.

No, I've never heard of FPP - I suspect he showed screen shots from both programs - and WinPicProg far predates FPP, WinPicProg was the worlds first Windows based PIC programmer (long before MicroChip moved to Windows).
Have a look at **broken link removed**. The screenshot I uploaded not being titled FPP is showing WPP's properties.

Have a look on this link I found. I saw "David Tait" on the webpage heading.
I don't understand your intention. Please explain.

Parallel port PIC programmer P16PRO40, detail webpage link in Nigel Goodwin's signature.

Built several, all worked first time.

konservatorium said:
I am using the 16F628A.

The PIC16F628A can be programmed with any "Tait" programmer, if that microcontroller is supported by the software. A couple of suggestions:
1) use the 7406 inverting buffers or the 7407 non-inverting buffers, because they have high voltage open collector outputs;
2) update the original design by adding a resistor to pull PGM to ground.

I use this programmer: www.eeng.biz/ppp_e.htm with PIC16F628A, PIC16F88, PIC12F675 (Vpp = 12.7 V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back