Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhictor

pls can anyone help me ,i want to build a universal programmer that can programme many PICs and pls where do i get the circuit and how to interpret the circuit.....any help will be appreciated .thanks

As above - with the introduction of the lower voltage PICs, the older programmers are no longer able to program a lot of the newer PICs.

A PicKit 2 will cost you around £20-£30, save you a huge amount of stress and wasted time, enable you to debug many of the PICs and have a USB interface which is handy as many new PCs and most Laptops no longer come with a serial or parallel port.

As above - with the introduction of the lower voltage PICs, the older programmers are no longer able to program a lot of the newer PICs.

A PicKit 2 will cost you around £20-£30, save you a huge amount of stress and wasted time, enable you to debug many of the PICs and have a USB interface which is handy as many new PCs and most Laptops no longer come with a serial or parallel port.

I completely agree with this. Why build it if you can get it so cheap this days? Unless the original poster is really trying to learn how to build PICs programmers from the ground-up (not sure if this is the case).

Also, you can get good prices on the Bay and can ask the seller(s) what is the range of PICs that particular programmer can program.

I built a P16Pro (or similar) parallel port programmer around 12 years ago and while it was reasonably reliable I did have some issues now and again with it.

I then bought a Picstart Plus which was far superior and never gave me any issues apart from one processor which appeared to need a decoupling capacitor before it would program.

I then purchased a Promate II with a range of sockets (ouch !) - fantastic bit of kit and I'm still using it for doing my production programming now. I also have a PicKit 2 which has been out of the box once - all of my stuff goes into the Promate at the moment but I've got the PK2 as a backup.

Last edited:
yes .i understand you all .i wish to buy the ready made PICkit but i cann't get it in my country .(Nigeria)..pls i need it .any further help pls

I agree. How many times have we given hardware related advice only to find that the poster has special needs based on location. I think location should be required. If people want to hide they can lie about it but it will come to light in threads like this anyway.

vhictor, perhaps you can find someone who can order it for you and ship it to you. It doesn't have to be a direct transaction. Just keep in mind you'll probably have to pay for the extra shipping costs.

Do you known anyone (online or in your personal life) from South Africa? Microchip direct ships to South Africa, and if you have a friend there who can ship it to you, it might be worth checking out.

Good luck!
Regards,
Matt

Last edited:
vhictor, perhaps you can find someone who can order it for you and ship it to you. It doesn't have to be a direct transaction. Just keep in mind you'll probably have to pay for the extra shipping costs.
The problem there is his location, Nigeria, the worlds worst location for crooks and scammers - I would suspect most people wouldn't dream of getting involved (I wouldn't).

A few decades ago my younger brother worked for a large national UK bank, and at one time was given the job of setting a fraud database up - categories included things like credit card fraud, cheque fraud, and a specific category 'Nigerian fraud'.

Mr Goodwin ,hmmmm ,yes i understand you that my country is corrupt yes its no doubt but d government are doing everything to fight it.pls we are not all the same ..but pls how can u help me with it or if u can give me a guideline and a circuit on how to build 1 ...i use proteus for my schematics design.pls i really need your help...thanks

Mr Goodwin ,hmmmm ,yes i understand you that my country is corrupt yes its no doubt but d government are doing everything to fight it.pls we are not all the same ..but pls how can u help me with it or if u can give me a guideline and a circuit on how to build 1 ...i use proteus for my schematics design.pls i really need your help...thanks

There are old parallel port schematics on my website, address in my signature file.

you may be better off just making programers specific to your PICs.
A truly universal one would be rather complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back