Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
sarcasim is unwarrented. windows grows faster than moores law. it is an immutable law of nature that software expands to consume all storage and cpu cycles available.

Marks256 said:
No, intel is just too cheap. I am fairly sure that Intel will become obsolete in the near future, unless they shape up. Intel just can't seem to understand that there are ways to make CPUs cheaper, yet faster. Heck, just like IBM did with that other company; added germanium to the silicon! I would pay $500+ for a CPU that runs at 100ghz, let-alone 1thz!
I think the real problem lies with the motherboards. Screw old technology, bring on the faster mobos!

100 Ghz is impossible.
Electricity moves at the speed of light , calculate for yourself how far it would be able to get at 100Ghz , assuming a perfect (non existing) enviroment.

Even for prescott's intel had the toughest time designing the cache lines to operate at only 3/4 ghz

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
No, intel is just too cheap. I am fairly sure that Intel will become obsolete in the near future, unless they shape up. Intel just can't seem to understand that there are ways to make CPUs cheaper, yet faster. Heck, just like IBM did with that other company; added germanium to the silicon! I would pay $500+ for a CPU that runs at 100ghz, let-alone 1thz!
I think the real problem lies with the motherboards. Screw old technology, bring on the faster mobos!
ROFL yeah, I'm sure that Intel should listen to a 15-yo kid. You have EVERYTHING all figured out.

As of right now, Intel has the fastest platform out, PERIOD. The core 2 duo chips kill anything AMD has to offer in every single benchmark out there. If you want the best of the best, there is no question that you should get a core 2 duo platform.

ROFL yeah, I'm sure that Intel should listen to a 15-yo kid. You have EVERYTHING all figured out.

And what is it that they should listen to? I never said they should do anything. :confused:

Marks256 said:
And what is it that they should listen to? I never said they should do anything. :confused:
Uh, you said they will become 'obsolete' unless they 'shape up', and that they 'need to understand that there are ways to make CPUs cheaper and faster'.

Newsflash: Intel has the most advanced high volume silicon manufacturing facilities in the WORLD. They know EXACTLY how to make CPUs cheaper. Nobody (not even AMD) can compete with Intel when it comes to making high quality silicon as cheaply as possible. With the release of core 2 duo line of processors, it is clear that Intel is now the premier supplier of the fastest PC processors on earth.

Uh, you said they will become 'obsolete' unless they 'shape up', and that they 'need to understand that there are ways to make CPUs cheaper and faster'.

Newsflash: Intel has the most advanced high volume silicon manufacturing facilities in the WORLD. They know EXACTLY how to make CPUs cheaper. Nobody (not even AMD) can compete with Intel when it comes to making high quality silicon as cheaply as possible. With the release of core 2 duo line of processors, it is clear that Intel is now the premier supplier of the fastest PC processors on earth.

And you felt that you needed to bring all of this to my attention, why?

poopeater said:

High Quality Silicon? Pfft I dont think so. Once you start making things smaller, you start running into problems. AMD has that all down pat with (oh crap, now I forgot what its called) But its something with a special type of silicon and how its manufactured.

Bah. No need to argue with him. I don't think he knows what he is talking about. :) Lol.

Overclocked said:
High Quality Silicon? Pfft I dont think so. Once you start making things smaller, you start running into problems. AMD has that all down pat with (oh crap, now I forgot what its called) But its something with a special type of silicon and how its manufactured.
Yeah...and how many defective 65nm parts from Intel get through to the end customer? What is it about Intel silicon that is low quality?

Does it die an early death? No
Does it overclock well? Yes
Does it have high leakage? No
Does it crack/break under stressful operating conditions? No
Does it work as advertised, across multiple different platforms? Yes

So please enlighten us all on how Intel silicon is not high quality.

poopeater said:
Yeah...and how many defective 65nm parts from Intel get through to the end customer? What is it about Intel silicon that is low quality?

Does it die an early death? No
Does it overclock well? Yes
Does it have high leakage? No
Does it crack/break under stressful operating conditions? No
Does it work as advertised, across multiple different platforms? Yes

So please enlighten us all on how Intel silicon is not high quality.

Hey Im just saying you start running into problems when you make things smaller. The Tech AMD has is far beyond what Intel can come up with.

If any Proc is Manufactured well, It wouldnt fail to any of those.

Heres what I was looking For:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_on_insulator

SOI, As far as I know Intel doesnt Posses it. Thats why they would have low Quality silicon. If they wanted things smaller, They would have to buy the license.

Overclocked said:
Hey Im just saying you start running into problems when you make things smaller. The Tech AMD has is far beyond what Intel can come up with.

If any Proc is Manufactured well, It wouldnt fail to any of those.

Heres what I was looking For:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_on_insulator

SOI, As far as I know Intel doesnt Posses it. Thats why they would have low Quality silicon. If they wanted things smaller, They would have to buy the license.
But what makes it low quality? Not having SOI doesn't mean anything. The silicon is as reliable (if not moreso) than AMD, it runs faster, runs cooler, is more efficient, and is a SMALLER geometry than AMD. What about it makes it low quality?

Where are the 'problems' that Intel has faced with making it smaller? How have these 'problems' manifested themselves?

To shut your ignorant mouth on a subject which you have no clue what you are talking about.

Where is your proof? Now, don't jump to conclusions. You aren't the brightest bulb on the branch yourself. And who are you calling ignorant?

Marks256 said:
Where is your proof? Now, don't jump to conclusions. You aren't the brightest bulb on the branch yourself. And who are you calling ignorant?
LOL. You are obviously ignorant on the subject. Anyone who even has 5min of actual work experience in the semiconductor industry can see that. No 'proof' is required.

No 'proof' is required.
No, no, where is your proof that i don't know what i am talking about? Hmm?

Marks256 said:
No, no, where is your proof that i don't know what i am talking about? Hmm?
Like I said. It's obvious to anyone who has worked in the field...no proof required. I'm not arguing with a 15yo child on the internet.

What ever. Say what you must. What ever puts you to sleep at night. I don't feel very offended by someone with the name of "poopeater". Good Day.

Marks256 said:
What ever. Say what you must. What ever puts you to sleep at night. I don't feel very offended by someone with the name of "poopeater". Good Day.
Dusty,

Believe it or not, I think you are a smart kid. I think it's cool that you're interested in electronics at such a young age. I also think that you're a smartass, and I think that you have a terrible attitude. Whenever someone tries to help you (on something you haven't explicitly asked), you get all angry and pouty.

You say you are here on this forum to learn, right? Well, you should realize that you can learn just as much from people correcting you as you can from asking pointed questions of your own creation. Get it? You can learn from people even when you haven't asked a question at all!

So, when someone like me sees that you are making ignorant statements, and they correct you, you have two options.

1. You can get all pissed off, jump up and down, and act like a spoiled little 15yo punk teenager (the choice you seem to make)
2. You can read the corrections, calmly and rationally comprehend the message, decide for yourself if it's something that you can learn from, and actually LEARN from your mistakes.

I will continue calling you on your ******** here. If I see you making idiotic statements, I will say something. You can choose to learn from it or not. The choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back